Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big paint problem here !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 07:33 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big paint problem here !!!

wow,seems i picked up bad road spray,or something, on the front forks,even on gas tank. this chit will not come off either. went to my body shop,he says turn it in to my insurance,so i did, dunno what this is,almost makes my black paint look metelliac,it seems to be really etched in !!!!! 500.00 deduct on my insurance,ouch,thoughts,ideas ? even on my face shield on my helmet. i do not know where i picked this up. had to be on the road tho . thanks for any advice here. my paint guy does not think it will buff out, he says not sure till he gets in to it. he is a very good painter i have known for many years,i trust him . this ticks me off,cause i am a finatic about my bike being clean,and looking good. as far as the forks, it may buff out,i know this can mess things up,if the wrong product is used. this paint,or what ever is is, is even etched in the the front side of my mirrors. dang ... the geico claim guy is to contact me in 1 to 3 days i was just told .

Old 10-10-2006, 07:43 PM
cornell
Intermediate
Default RE: big paint problem here !!!

You can use laquer thinner to remove most paint that gets on the factory finish and especially on the chrome followed by a waxing when you are through. The factory paint being a urethane should not be affected by the thinners but try a small spot down low on the tank to test it first to be sure it's factory paint. Don't use it on plastics, it will damage them.

I've done it many times with good results on bikes and cars also, just don't over wet the rag with the thinners or it drips.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:51 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 164 Posts

Did you try a clay bar? Link

Old 10-10-2006, 10:55 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

thanks 4 the advice,i think i wait till the ins adjuster comes before i do anyrthing. will get a clay bar for sure,are they safe to use on all paints ?

Old 10-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Matrix
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I sure hope that it isn't acid from a semi that you maybe were following or that the truck leaked on the highway. What ever it is, good luck getting it cleaned or resolved. I wouldn't use it on the paint but Never Dull works good on the chrome and should get most of it clean as long as it is not etched into it. Good Luck!

Old 10-10-2006, 11:44 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

i really think it could be acid. like i said,my paint expert said he had never seen anything like it. makes me sick here .. thousands of silver specs.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:52 PM
Matrix
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I can feel your pain. The guys at work ask if I have time to ride because I am such a finatic about my bike being clean. They laugh because when I get to work I let it cool then I cover it because of the possibility of something from the chemical plant that I work at getting on it. I am sorry to hear of youor misfortune. I know I'd be sick as schit!!!

Old 10-11-2006, 12:11 AM
cnielsen4130
Intermediate

you can also try a urethane reducer, its used to thin out clear coat or paint before it is sprayed sprayed, i used to use it on brand new cars after i sprayed rino lining and if there is any over spray, and that it tough stuff. and it would effect the clear coats on the factory paint. id test it on a spot that isnt so visible, use a rag and get it damp with it and just rub it.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:17 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

never dull would not even begin to remove the pitted metal/ chrome. that was my first attempt .

ORIGINAL: Matrix

I sure hope that it isn't acid from a semi that you maybe were following or that the truck leaked on the highway. What ever it is, good luck getting it cleaned or resolved. I wouldn't use it on the paint but Never Dull works good on the chrome and should get most of it clean as long as it is not etched into it. Good Luck!

Old 10-11-2006, 01:45 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

funny you mention that, that is the first thing my paint dude used today,it did not touch the etched in paint,which is the worst on the gas tank for sure .

ORIGINAL: cnielsen4130

you can also try a urethane reducer, its used to thin out clear coat or paint before it is sprayed sprayed, i used to use it on brand new cars after i sprayed rino lining and if there is any over spray, and that it tough stuff. and it would effect the clear coats on the factory paint. id test it on a spot that isnt so visible, use a rag and get it damp with it and just rub it.

Quick Reply: big paint problem here !!!