Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home made quick detach saddle bags (how to with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 06:58 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

That's awesome, *******. Excellent job.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:14 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
That's awesome, *******. Excellent job.
I read your post the other day about ******s name being hidden, funny that ******* is not....

Old 04-01-2011, 09:47 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice job! Going to have to find me some parts now. I love detachable stuff.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:05 AM
R-Jay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job! Have you thought about getting a sissy bar rack? Then you could use a T-Bag or other bag to go on the rack. There are lots of them that will hold more than a tour pack and most are a lot cheeper too.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:20 AM
coachchris
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great, I've been trying to think of ideas to something similar, think I might just go a head and copy yours.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8,972 Likes on 1,475 Posts

Nice job, hope your not expecting any royalties when MoCo copies it and sells them for $300.00 a pair....

Old 04-02-2011, 01:29 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice job!! And a hell of a lot cheaper then trying to make it work buying HD gear.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:51 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by *******
Here are some quick detachable saddlebags I made, let me know what you think.

Trace the bottom of the detachable sissy bar side plate onto a piece of cardboard then cut it out; I also did the bolt position so I could reference it later.

After I cut out the cardboard outline I copied that to a piece of flat steel that is the same thickness of the sissy bar side plate.

Then I took a grinder and rough cut the outline of the bracket, after i rough cut the bracket I took a drill bit that fit the circumference of the mounting slots and drilled holes out for the rounded part of the slots, then i went back to the angle grinder and cut the straight part until it met the holes I drilled.

I then mounted the detachable latch kit I picked up on ebay for $20 or so and rattle canned the bracket black.

Once this was done I took some throw over saddle bags I found on craigslist for $30 and drilled two mount holes that went through the bags and bracket, mounted them with these barrel nuts/bolts I salvaged from an old piece of furniture (you can buy them at Lowes in the hardware section for like $5 or so)

I also fabbed up some support brackets to keep the bags from flopping around by looping the ends of some ¼” round steel around the bolts that hold the bags to the detach brackets

At first I made them so they could fit where the sissy bar mounts, but the ol’ lady kept screaming about not having a backrest so I turned the brackets around and picked up another set of mounting hardware (again from ebay, they where for a sportster but I just drilled the bolt holes a bit bigger and they fit fine) and put them on the outside of the sissy bar mounts but this time I put the large one in the front. So now I can run both at once.

finished pics

I know i still need to remove the zipper's from the throw over part on the saddle bag just haven't gotten there yet.
here you go a couple of overall pics

Great work ... a few others have done something similar ... very good write up and pics ....

I was contemplating doing something similar with my hard bags ... but, couldn't ascertain at the time that the latch hardware could be gotten on e-Bay ... really makes the cost of something like this much more affordable ....

Excellent job mounting on your bike ... very level with your pipes ....

R/
'Chop

Old 04-02-2011, 04:38 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

here you go a couple of overall pics

That does look really good. Really nice work.This is definitely on my list of mods. Thinking outside the box and making your own parts is the way to go...Saves money and the feeling you get when you take an idea and make it happen....Keep up the good work....

Old 04-02-2011, 05:12 PM
DieselDummy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool indeed!!
And all for under 100.00!!

Quick Reply: Home made quick detach saddle bags (how to with pics)