Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike in uhaul trailer

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 02:54 PM
h2o
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at securing the wheels with s chock. I brought my bike home in a trailer. After a 3 hr drive and less than 2 miles from my house, the bike tipped. No damage but scared me good. Goodluck.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:13 PM
ilovemyskidoo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hald my bike from lancaster SC to my home in western NY in a 5x8 uhaul and had zero issue's just put 2 good tie downs on the tripple trees and one across the rear tire and all will be well the tie down points on the trailer are stronger than they look

Old 08-21-2011, 03:45 PM
xantasm
Supporter

On my family move I hauled two bikes from Reno to Las Vegas in a 5x8 U-Haul trailers with no problems. Because I had to deal with a U-Haul truck, a Jeep Wrangler, and a Dodge Ram I had the choice between riding the bikes down to Vegas to put in to storage and fly back, buy a trailer that was strong enough to haul at least 1000 lbs at 55mph which isn't cheap, or rent a trailer from U-Haul. Facts are the U-Haul 5x8 is rated to carry 1200lbs at 55mph all day long. So the structural safety is covered. The next question is can a bike be secured properly on the trailer in such a way that it will arrive on the other end safely? Well the trailer type in question has steel D ring attachment points mounted in the bed of the trailer at each corner and several other spots and since the box is steel with rails that provides numerous other tie down attachment points it was possible using multiple ratchet straps to tie the bikes down in a way that got almost zero movement out of them.

So is the U-Haul trailer as desirable as a several thousand dollar custom toy hauler setup to haul motorcycles? No, but it will get the job done if your budget can't afford the custom trailer. BTW U-Haul also rents a single motorcycle trailer.

Last edited by xantasm; 08-21-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:49 PM
dlkraniak
6th Gear

My first thought was to ride the bike up to Ohio, but my wife has other ideas and since I am moving her to another country on the other side of the world for the next 3 years I decided to be nice and ride with her and the boy in the jeep.

I saw 6 tie down points inside the trailer. 1 in each corner and 1 centered on either of the long sides. I have plenty of straps to hook up to all 6 spots, just worried that the D rings will not hold, but if others have made trips just as long with no issues I am willing to give it a try.

One other question that I have is for storing the bike. I will be in Japan for 3 years and not be able to take my bike with me. I bought one of those motorcycle bubbles to store the bike in, but I am worried about corrosion setting in. I plan on spraying the entire bike down with S100 Corosion Protectant, changing the oil, draining the fuel system, and then rolling her into the bubble. I was considering using either spraying fogging oil in the intake until the engine dies or filling the cylinders completely with oil. Not sure which one will be more effective, ideas?

Thanks for the tips so far!
Dan

Old 08-21-2011, 10:32 PM
DeD Fred
Road Master

Using the handlebars spreads the load
forks further a part. Been doing it that way for many years.
and you only need two straps not six

Old 08-22-2011, 04:22 AM
mcr5593
Novice

I don't post here much, but I've used a Uhaul Trailer many times to move my bike:

1. If you are using an enclosed trailer, remember, they don't have ramps with them. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but it is a little detail that can be overlooked.

2. If you are using an enclosed trailer, don't tell the Uhaul reps you are moving a motorcycle. Technically it's against their policy to ship gasoline engines/motor vehicles in the enclosed trailers. They are meant for furniture. I'm not say every uhaul agency is going to abide by their own rules, but it's best not to even mention it.

3. If you want an open trailer, the 5x9' utility trailer is the way to go. It has a V-Shaped nose that you can wedge the front tire into. I use two straps, between the tripple trees. Have had no problems.

TIP: Zip tie your keys to you handlbars, disconnect your battery or pull the main fuse if you have the security system on your bike. The bouncing of the trailer causes your blinkers to flash which is more than annoying at night to see that in your rear view mirror.