Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fxdx/fxdxt suspension factory settings weight range

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Just picked up an FXDXT and am seeking info on springs in the front. The front is far too soft for my taste even when cranked up all the way. What weight oil do you run and what spring? Race tech's site told me I need the .95 kg spring so I guess I will order a set. No lowering is planned as the massive ground clearance of this bike is one of the main reasons I acquired it.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:52 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 240-245 lbs plus I always carry saddlebags with tools so probably close to 260lbs normal.

Can't help with rear since I'm running custom build works black trackers with preset compression/rebound setup. I did set the preload per the sag specs for the shocks.

I have replaced the front oil with heavy SE grade and just completely rebuilt the front forks cause I PC's the lowers...

Up front I have the preload set to 3 lines and its great - same as johnnyfxdx. I set it up per manual specs on a lift with normal riding weight when I set the rear preload.

The compression and rebound dampening are both setup to 3 click clockwise from full counter clockwise 0. The ride is firm and has little dive on breaking.

I found an article in Iron Horse mag which described typical issues and their cause (preload, compression and rebound dampening) It was written around the FXDX back in 2001. Cut it out and saved it. After trial and error over several days I adjusted out all the issues I could after rebuild the forks. Not perfect, but close. To get better I would need Ohlins or similar forks If I have time I can paraphrase the issues/cause/adjustment section for you tonight when I get home.

Last edited by PhotoRider; 05-16-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:09 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master

I put in 20 wt SE oil. the highest they recommend.

The race tech says 1.06kg/mm for me, but the highest they make is .95Kg/mm. I have heard of several places that can make the weight you want. I wonder what weight the stock springs are? going to check service manual to see if they spec that

here is some info I found:
http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php?topic=1873.0

Interesting read. I take away from this that the race tech emulators/ricor intiminators are for forks using damping rods, not cartridge type forks (the type used in a FXDX/FXDXT). With cartridge forks you need the standard gold valve kit race tech makes. Don't think Ricor makes this type of valve kit.

Another option is to have custom valving and springs made like from Lindemann Engineering

Old 05-16-2012, 06:19 PM
wisemx
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it like we always check on the track.
1) All your weight on the bike have someone help you bounce it.
The front and rear should compress and rebound alike.
2) Now push it from the front and back with the brakes on.
Again it helps to have someone add the directional weight while you sit.

Then a little cheat, go test it on a speed bump.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:53 AM
eazyride
Cruiser

hey guys, i have question about how to set the rite sag for me

i'm 160lbs, the bike is a 04 fxdx, about 12,000miles, mostly solo ride, stock fork springs, 3 yr old 412 progressive heavy duty, new fork oil, the bike is always on jacklift when not riding.

it's just that recently i get the "light" feeling from the front end and when i speed up in a long curvy road or hit a bump in a curve, the bike tends to weave. so i've read some where that i should get the sag rite before playing with compression and rebound. So last nite, i got a few numbers

front fork set at line 3
wheels off the ground (F0)=180mm, bike weight (f1)= 145mm, with rider (f2)= 125mm, so static is 35mm and racer sag is 50mm

front fork set at line 2 F0= 200mm, f1=160, f2=150, as you can see now the result is different, static is 40mm and racer sag is 50mm

rear shocks set at 2 from the hardest preload
R0 305mm R1 270mm R2=255mm, static=35, racer sag = 50mm

my fork compression is set to 3 clicks from H and rebound is 6 clicks up from H.

i dont know whether the springs are still good or have they gone soft...
i mean,..i tried n sat on my friend's dyna with stock shocks, the bike only dropped probably just a little barely 1"

hope ane one can explain it to me..thanks!