Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P.o.s. Rear fender cracked !

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup the plate is the problem, relocate it to the rear axle "road6 plate mounts" and have MoCo replace your rear fender. I know it's been said before but the rear fender on the new model dyna's is not only flawed, but imo ugly as ****, much prefer my older style fender. Best of luck on getting everything sorted.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:03 AM
STREETWALKER
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I liked the short fender when I bought the sb but I think that the full fender looks better now. I was really torn between the SG and the SB. I went with the Sb mostly because I was tired of polishing all that chrome on my old FL. any suggestions on an aftermarket full fender? I like the vodoo fender but I don't know if I have the stones or $ to chop the struts and throw down on that right now.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:59 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Oldy's and Sumax sell full length composite fenders. Me and Surfor CHOP run Shovelhead era steel fenders. Once you have the width, you just need to find the fender to fit and redrill it. Oldies will make them to any width you want for like 150 shipped. I happened to like the hinged look, so thats why I chose what I did. And a tombstone tail light is maybe fifty bucks new on ebay. You can surely give yourself a headache looking at options. Thanks for the props as well and post up what you do.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Ward_UT
Advanced

This was my cheap (under $30) and temporary solution to what appears to be the inevitable fate of a cracked fender: A Road 6 axle mount horizontal (Utah state law forbids a vertical mount) plate bracket and a chrome flag decal from the Fatherland on the original plate support.

I'll wait and see a few more long term solutions from others before I decide what to do...unless a cracked fender forces my hand, of course.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:14 AM
STREETWALKER
Cruiser

I like that choice of flag there on the old plate mount. I am not sure, however, that you will not end up with the crack. That little bracket may cause just enough vibration to crack you fender. the side mount plate is the right thing to do apparently. As an added precaution I would amputate that bracket. Should be easy enough. I hope it works for you buddy. Your bike looks good by the way! Did you have to drill and tap the swing Arm for that plate bracket?

Last edited by STREETWALKER; 03-18-2012 at 02:16 AM. Reason: spellin' errer
Old 03-18-2012, 08:20 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't have a cracked fender, I installed the solo rack when it was new.
Same fender.
Anyone else using a Harley Davidson rigid solo rack have a cracked fender?

Last edited by stilup; 03-18-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Ward_UT
Advanced

Originally Posted by STREETWALKER
I like that choice of flag there on the old plate mount. I am not sure, however, that you will not end up with the crack. That little bracket may cause just enough vibration to crack you fender. the side mount plate is the right thing to do apparently. As an added precaution I would amputate that bracket. Should be easy enough. I hope it works for you buddy. Your bike looks good by the way! Did you have to drill and tap the swing Arm for that plate bracket?
Thanks...she's a work in progre$$.

I hope only to delay the cracked fender long enough to find a permanent solution. I thought of trimming the excess from the tail lamp assembly, part #24 here, but figured the lost weight from the original plate frame, the three bolts that attach the frame to the tail lamp assembly, plate, and the four bolts to attach the plate to the frame would buy me some time.

I did not have to do anything to the swing arm. The side-mount bracket is one piece construction, drilled at 25mm for the rear axle, and attaches behind the rear axle nut.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Ward_UT
Advanced

Originally Posted by stilup
I don't have a cracked fender, I installed the solo rack when it was new. Same fender. Anyone else using a Harley Davidson rigid solo rack have a cracked fender?
I don't know about the solo rack but I have seen a number of threads here that deal with cracks on the rear fenders of '08s (I think) and up.

There appears to be some connection as well to the type of pipes you have and I read that some dealerships were blaming shortys for the excess vibration. Still, it's not happening to everyone. I road the first year and half with no problems - and I had even added a chrome license plate frame.

I'll never understand why H-D would deface a perfectly fine bobbed fender with a license plate flapping around back there to begin with but, no matter, I'd choose this bike all over again.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:31 AM
ZEKE83
Intermediate

Stupid question:
How do you know when the fender has cracked....Is it visable or is it under the tail light and makes a vibration sound? If it happens to mine, I want to catch it quick and get it fixed.

Any pics?

Thanks

Old 04-11-2012, 09:02 AM
STREETWALKER
Cruiser

PM me with tour mobile # and I will send you pics. Can't figure out how to post pics from phone. My first clue was the hideous rattling noise coming from behind me.

Quick Reply: P.o.s. Rear fender cracked !