Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Bags That Cover Dyna Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:58 PM
biketroll
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe bike looks sweet, what did you use for the mounting of the fairing.? Sorry for the hijack..

Old 03-25-2012, 08:04 PM
boston joe
Advanced

Originally Posted by biketroll
Joe bike looks sweet, what did you use for the mounting of the fairing.? Sorry for the hijack..
Hey bud I used the cycle visions kit good set up but cheap hardware and powder coat.... I just went to swap meets ans Craig's list piecing fairing parts everything new from Harley I wanted to yakkk I guess I just got lucky on parts.... U thinking of doin it up??

Old 03-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just an FYI on the original question of this thread...Corbin makes hardbags that cover the shocks. They are not cheap but they are well made and have lots of room. I love mine and they are great to have for the storage.

Name:  0316121543.jpg
Views: 2553
Size:  130.3 KB

Name:  0316121543a.jpg
Views: 2612
Size:  121.5 KB

Old 03-25-2012, 10:52 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Boston Joe, those bags look nothing short of spectacular. You did such an outstanding job that I am strongly considering swiping your idea for my bike. No joke.

To the O/P, Saddleman also makes a complete line of saddlebags with a cutaway for the shock. No where near as nice as Joe's rig, but a lot cheaper and ready to bolt on.

https://www.denniskirk.com/saddlemen...ay.p507897.prd

Old 03-26-2012, 02:57 AM
mrphotographer
Novice
Cool

Originally Posted by boston joe
thanks guys... ya the bags were off a 2000 flh, the last year before they switched to abs. the fibergklass was easier to work with. i used take off street glide brackets and cut/bent/welding to where they were square on my bike. all parts are harley moco parts including all harware and brackets. the fender piece was a bad dad fender i cut up and made it work. i was trying to go for the whole stock/looks like it came from the factory look
Boston Joe-

First let me thank you for your response. I was having problems viewing the pics so I had to go to your albums and I like the look overall. Yes, the *** end is alittle wide but I could live with it. about how many hows did it take?

Old 03-26-2012, 03:21 AM
mrphotographer
Novice

******ball33 is right you have truly out done anything I have seen in this area for Dyna bikes! I would hire you to do a set of bags for me if I could. I guess I am going to have to find some one that can work in fiberglass to help me out. I found some road king extended stretched bags that I think will work after doing the cut out mod for the shock.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:26 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boston joe
Fbinsocal .... Wat do u mean by quick release? If ur meaning the stock Harley bag set up with the clip and the pin then ya..... I haven't dove to much into the fld yet and studied the mounting and bracket system but anything is possible I actually wish Harley listen ti the consumers cuz that prib have went to a bigger bag
Joe, it's a three-point docking system with a latch inside the bags that turns to lock them in place. There are three nubs on the fender and three receivers on the bags. They placed the latch almost dead center inside the bags so we lose another 1" inside.
Here's the best youtube video i could find on them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IYRHxHeXRY

Personally, i think the FLD bags would be awesome on a lowered bike like a street bob or just about ANY lowered dyna. They clear the pipes well and the quick release is really good. For me, i just need bigger ones. They are like $2k to buy. The bags you made, to me, is a home run. I would be quite interested in a set. If you need more pics or measurements, let me know. That is...if you are interested.

On the slip-on, you won't need new headers if the slip-on will bolt onto yours. You can see a pic of it in my albums. Also, they (bassani) have the o2 adapters available. I think they sell them but not sure.
Here's the link to the actual slip-on album:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...p-on-pics.html

Last edited by FBinSoCal; 03-26-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:00 AM
boston joe
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrphotographer
Boston Joe-

First let me thank you for your response. I was having problems viewing the pics so I had to go to your albums and I like the look overall. Yes, the *** end is alittle wide but I could live with it. about how many hows did it take?
i took my time cuz itwas the winter tried to bend my own brakets .. it was a guessing game and trial and error till i came across street glide bag brackets... a little chop/cut/ bending and i saved my self weeks of work... it was a long process to make each side look the same.. if i had to do it again it would be easier and quicker and probably a bit better lol... the fender piece was a bad dad extended fender i cut up.. my old mans got a body shop and builds hot rods so he kept pushing me to do the little things and make each part as if it was suposed to be there. even the little things people dont see. so that was my motivation in doing the set up. i wanted to get it to the point where people looked at it and thought it was from harley. so i used all harley parts in the build. so basically i worked on it every weekend from november till about march

Old 03-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll add to the compliments as well.... Talk about "Making it your own"! Beautiful work. I have thought of the same thing, but I have a Wide Glide, I just don't think hard bags would look right with the bob-tail fender. Actually, I think any bags on a bob-tail fend ends up looking like an add-on, yours look like something Harley designed them, they blend, they look to belong there. Nice job again.
FWIW; I believe you would be surprised at how many you could sell..... An awful lot of Dyna's out there... I bought a fiberglas tourpack on ebay that is obviously from a mold spashed from a Harley Pak, $350 (in black only) + $115 if you wanted OEM Harley hinges and latches installed.
If it was what I wanted on my Dyna, I wouldn't hesitate... Those Corbins are $1200 to $1700 in black, and just don't look as much Harley to me for some reason, yours do.,

Last edited by Afishinado; 03-26-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:10 PM
boston joe
Advanced

ya not so much with the bob tail who who cares when u get sick of the bob tail get a new fender then do it.. when its all said and done its the same bike but a new one. as for making more the old fiberglss bags are hard to come by and there expensive prob run you at least 3-400 a set ... if i was to sell my kit i wouldnt even know what to charge prob around the same 2000ish but atleast they looks better than the bubbles they have out there ...it cost me 1000 just in parts it was an expensive project

Last edited by boston joe; 03-26-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Hard Bags That Cover Dyna Shocks