Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Bags That Cover Dyna Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 03:29 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by boston joe
thanks guys... ya the bags were off a 2000 flh, the last year before they switched to abs. the fibergklass was easier to work with. i used take off street glide brackets and cut/bent/welding to where they were square on my bike. all parts are harley moco parts including all harware and brackets. the fender piece was a bad dad fender i cut up and made it work. i was trying to go for the whole stock/looks like it came from the factory look
Man, I love those. I was thinking of doing something similar by cutting out the FL shock cut out and fabricating in a Dyan shock cut out, but after seeing what used bags were going for and not sure specifically when they switched to ABS I started looking in a different direction. Then I found another set of ABS ones from a vendor that had the cut out but they required you to source tops and hardware making the price perhibitively expensive and they are ABS. So just decided to go with the Calvary Fiberglass ones which do not have the FL shock cut out. Now I am rethinking it again looking for Pre-2000 ones like you used. Thanks for the inspiration!
Bob

Old 03-26-2012, 03:39 PM
boston joe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HYPR
Man, I love those. I was thinking of doing something similar by cutting out the FL shock cut out and fabricating in a Dyan shock cut out, but after seeing what used bags were going for and not sure specifically when they switched to ABS I started looking in a different direction. Then I found another set of ABS ones from a vendor that had the cut out but they required you to source tops and hardware making the price perhibitively expensive and they are ABS. So just decided to go with the Calvary Fiberglass ones which do not have the FL shock cut out. Now I am rethinking it again looking for Pre-2000 ones like you used. Thanks for the inspiration!
Bob
bob, go on ebay and look at pre 2000 bags there all fiberglass dont worry about shape they can be easily body worked....unfortuantley u cant do anything with abs i have done quite a few mods on abs and no matter how good i support/glass it always seems to crack ... u cant truck modding pastic IMO .. calvary bags are nice but expensive and i cant see or justify cutting into very expensive bags. go the ebay or swap meet route

Old 05-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Paesani241
6th Gear

Joe,
Your posts have given me hope! I took my bike to a custom shop about 3 weeks ago trying to get an idea if they can convert my tail end to a bagger and they can't seem to come up with anything for me. After going thru all your posts, I went to another custom shop, showed them your pics, and they said they could do it all in about a week once they got the parts in. I have a Wide Glide (and I love the bobtail) but the rear fender has to go to put hard bags on there. Otherwise it simply looks odd. The shop seems to think that they can use the whole Bad Dad fender and simply chop it up to get it to fit my bike. I'll post some pics once the work gets underway.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Frigol
Advanced

Originally Posted by boston joe
thanks guys... ya the bags were off a 2000 flh, the last year before they switched to abs. the fibergklass was easier to work with. i used take off street glide brackets and cut/bent/welding to where they were square on my bike. all parts are harley moco parts including all harware and brackets. the fender piece was a bad dad fender i cut up and made it work. i was trying to go for the whole stock/looks like it came from the factory look
They look great! Exactly what HD should have done to include leather bags for dynas.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:29 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Joe, hats off man that is simply awesome...

here is a shot of my bags.. that do no tcover the shocks as they are behind them.. but here are are a few pics

Old 05-26-2012, 11:15 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Boston Joe ... I can see where you get the opinion that hard bags that are mounted aft of the shock stick out too far ... whereas on yours the bags are flush or the fender slightly protrudes ...

I think it is a matter of taste ... and what method is considered acceptable ...

By the by, I am a huge fan of your work and think you've done really well ...

R/
'Chop

Old 05-26-2012, 12:26 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Joe--Another attaboy since first seeing this in another thread. Really like the overall appearance.

I've already collected the major components to add '09 RK police bags (behind the shocks) and a (modified) vintage Tour-Pack, plus a modified '09 SG rear fender, tail/signal/ lower/plate light.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:44 PM
harleyphoenix
Road Captain

Why don't you guys leave the dynas alone and buy a touring model? Gross....

Old 05-26-2012, 12:54 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The touring models have forward controls and foot boards.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:12 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyphoenix
Why don't you guys leave the dynas alone and buy a touring model? Gross....
why? my dyna can be a stripped down bar hopper or i can toss on bags and fairing and tour on it... nothing wrong with having one bike that does everything... plus it is funny as hell when a "bagger" (dyna) can just rip out of the light and cut twisties hard loaded up... i tour on my bike not just cruise from spot to spot... having a bike that does it all is awesome... plus having a comfortable passanger seat and a spot for the lady to put a hoody or gloves in the bags, not to mention the wind protection both rider and passanger get, we can go out riding all day long and enjoy tunes while doing so... since i added bags to the bike wife and i ride about 10x's more places than we used to... so much so that we have her bike up for sale now... best part... no 20g bike note for a bagger...

Quick Reply: Hard Bags That Cover Dyna Shocks