Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tires, wholy crap

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,566 Likes on 3,813 Posts

Just remember, they are harder and your stopping distance just increased 10 feet. Mine actually squeak on the garage floor. Lops did not but rear wore like a 1st graders #2 pencil erasure.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

This was the first set of tires I've bought for my SB. I did ride a Sporty for several years before this, and always bought Dunlops, and the new ones were always better then the old worn out ones. But in this case, for me, it's night and day difference with the Metz. 8k miles seems a little low for the price. But I'm glad I'm experimenting with a different tire. If I go back to the Metz in the future depends. Either way, I'll try anything other than Dunlops again.

In the mean time, I'm just going to enjoy the hell out of it.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:58 PM
JimmieJack
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mid-Night-Rider,

You were asking about the Sputhe Posi. You said you live up the hill from Sputhe - I live down the hill (Sac.). I call Sputhe and while the tires were being put on - I drove up the picked one up so I wouldn't have to wait for shipping. As far as the smog can - yes I had to work around it and it as a little PITA. A few suggested I just ditch the canister but I didn't. Whether it is the Sputhe Positrac or the True Track I think they work as advertised.

BTW - I got about 5000 on my Metz. and they still look real good - I'm kind of pleasently surprised.

Jimmie

Old 09-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Loner88
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wakko47
After all of my bikes had Dunlops over the years, and me never having a problem with them, I defended them. Once I got my new bike, and it came with worn 880s, I finally realized just how crappy the Dunlops are. The rear 880 is ready for replacing, I'll likely get another one. I will NOT be getting the Dunlops again.

For the folks complaining about 7k out of their tires, how many miles a year do you do? For me, two years out of a rear tire is AOK, especially if it keeps itself to the road like it's supposed to.
12-15K on average- put 25K on my Bob in the last year and a half. That's 1 and a half Metz 880s per riding season- bit pricey.

Originally Posted by guenther
I thought about doing the same and did a lot of research. The only downside I read is they are narrower than other tires that are the same size. A few people said they would not have gone with them if they knew they were going to be that way.
The Commander II is a good a tire, but does not stick like the Metz. Firmer casing and sidewall so there is less flex under hard cornering, but, run it above 40 PSI and it will skip on rough pavement when cornering, run it a little low and it's mushy. Crappy in the rain, spun the rear many times with little throttle input. Wears real well, 10K on mine and looks to have a couple of thousand left. OL has it on both ends of her Heritage and hates it with a passion, she just got a set of Avon Venoms to replace 'em with, even though the tires have a lot of tread left. If you are a mellow fellow they will be fine; if you like to tear it up, go with something else.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:34 PM
denimbob08
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you guys are saying its bad that when i turn right and hammer down the rear end slides out till the bike is straight then stands up from the lean and goes? seems to happen all the time on my stock dunlop tire. got used to it. rides just fine in the rain but im careful. plenty of tread left but ive never done a burn out with it either. dont want it to hop then slam on its side.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:41 PM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmieJack
Mid-Night-Rider,

You were asking about the Sputhe Posi. You said you live up the hill from Sputhe - I live down the hill (Sac.). I call Sputhe and while the tires were being put on - I drove up the picked one up so I wouldn't have to wait for shipping. As far as the smog can - yes I had to work around it and it as a little PITA. A few suggested I just ditch the canister but I didn't. Whether it is the Sputhe Positrac or the True Track I think they work as advertised.

BTW - I got about 5000 on my Metz. and they still look real good - I'm kind of pleasently surprised.

Jimmie
Thanks Jimmie. I was planning on doing that sooner, but now has been put on the winter project list. I honestly don't have anything against the smog can. It kinda looks dumb but most people don't even notice it. It doesn't hurt performance, and I want this to remain sell-able in CA.

I'm 150 miles away from you. You get to ride all year round, and I have to deal with 50' snow/winter.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

I have 11K on mine, getting ready to put a new one in the rear, front one is not even close to needing replaced. I love these tires and I am also afraid to try anything else cause I don't want to drop the dime and hate the next couple of thousand miles.