Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 fat bob factory bars to ape hangers PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Robert0bot
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 fat bob factory bars to ape hangers PLEASE HELP

It's the winter here in fort mcmurray alberta. I'm getting the itch, probably about 10 - 12 weeks and im riding again.

I've been shopping around for as complete of a handlebar kit as I can find. I am beginning to think I will need to do the whole thing myself. I can't seem to get hill country customs to take my money for some reason and they seem to be the only ones offering complete kits (switches, cabling, etc) Looking for tips from people who may have done this before.

What do I need to be aware of? What might I overlook when I am purchasing everything I need? What types of problems might I encounter.

Last thing I want to have happen is to tear my old bars off, start installing and then realize i forgot something and be waiting on parts for a week.

Also open to suggestions for brands/sites to order from

Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone posted in the general hd forum about them. Consensus was don't deal with them. Terrible cables and customer service.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 01-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Robert0bot
Stage III

Yeah after trying to reach them for more than a week and the snippy attitude I got through email when I wondered why I can only imagine what service after the sale would be like.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:17 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Changing the bars can be time consuming, but if you take your time and pace your work to do it right, you can get it done.

Get yourself a manual. This you NEED. I can help you out with that , just PM me.

You'll need to drain and unmount the gas tank.

You'll need to extend your electrical, which means soldering. Don't use that crappy extension kit, and don't use crimp kits. Soldering takes very little time to learn how to do it right, just youtube some videos on it. Or find someone you trust. Make sure you measure out (and save some room for slack) how long the electrical needs to be.

You'll need a new throttle, idle, brake cable, and clutch cable. The length you need for each of these will depend on what height bars you go with. Best practice is to put the new bars on the bike and measure before ordering, unless you know for sure.

You'll need new trans fluid for when you change the clutch cable. (It will have to be drained and refilled when doing so).

Front brake will have to be bled and refilled and air taken out (or reverse bled).

That's the major stuff...

Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Robert0bot
Stage III

Thanks guys. I ordered up the 14" outlawz from hdbikeparts. Wish me luck, I'm anxiously awaiting warmer weather. Hopefully all goes well.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Depending on how high you are going with your bars, you may not need to extend the wires. I went with 10-1/2" mini apes with 1-1/2" risers (total of 12" rise) and there was ample wiring from the factory tucked up under the neck. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised. Also, I did my swap without removing the tank. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 AM
Scarfmace
Advanced

I had my 14" ape installed last week aswell, the above sums it up pretty well, don't forget to buy some risers to fit your new bars. You could use the OE risers but the are for 1 1/4 inch bars and look fugly with an ape imo.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:08 PM
DYNAM1C
Cruiser

Not trying to hijack the thread but, if you have a 2 or 2.5 inch tank lift kit installed, would that be enough room underneath?