Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Day 9 - learning by doing

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:59 PM
07_Dyna
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Day 9 - learning by doing

Thanks to Jeff's 1st Harley for the tip on the Michelin Commander II tires. These tires made my bike ride light, and so deceptively easy. Sure wouldn't think I was on a big 'ol Harley ...

Honestly - I feel more ... secure on the FXD than I did on any other bike, in a very long time. I'd have to go back to the Nortons to feel as confident as I do now.

I am brand new in here. Don't know much yet! My repair manual is somewhere... not here yet. Still, I have been trying to fix my bike up.

I changed the plug wires and installed standard NGK plugs, until the iridium ones arrived. I installed the iridium today (DCPR7EIX).

They say those plugs are "pre-set" and not to gap them. I say bologna. I used regular, slip-joint pliers to bend the outer electrode away from the center electrode, then set the gap at .040 inch, without stressing the center electrode.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

The motor idled faster. That was the first thing I noticed. It took the computer a few miles to catch on, then the idle slowed down to almost what it was. Almost all the phardting out the exhaust is gone, as is the rolling miss at part throttle and low speeds. The idle is much more steady. The "Harley lope" is still there - just not as much.

I also learned that a large master padlock fits nicely into the slots in the rear brake rotor. If somebody wants the bike they'll have to carry it, 'cause the back wheel sure won't turn!

I don't just take. I try to give something, as well

Old 07-31-2014, 05:55 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

I have been using a Master pad lock for years for the same reason, it hangs out in the hole at the top of the down tubes on the front of the frame when not in use.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:06 AM
07_Dyna
Cruiser

Originally Posted by blueangel73
I have been using a Master pad lock for years for the same reason, it hangs out in the hole at the top of the down tubes on the front of the frame when not in use.
I'm gonna have to look for that hole - the damn thing's heavy to carry around in my pocket! Of course I could always get a bandana and carry it in my back pocket, aka an infamous club...

Old 07-31-2014, 06:41 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're welcome. And take it from me as someone who has tried several different spark plug types, do some research on this subject before you become too attached to the NGK iridium plug. You may as I did find yourself going back to the stock plug, but anyway ride safely.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:23 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Here are some pics of where I keep my look when not in use.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:53 AM
rod18cdz
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not trying to insult anyone's intelligence but when you put it on the rotor make sure you have a "visible reminder" that you will see before you take off. Like a flag that an aircraft uses to remind them covers are in place. Everyone has a brain fart once in a while.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:32 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rod18cdz
Not trying to insult anyone's intelligence but when you put it on the rotor make sure you have a "visible reminder" that you will see before you take off. Like a flag that an aircraft uses to remind them covers are in place. Everyone has a brain fart once in a while.
True dat, I used to have a "Remove Before Flight" lanard on a key ring I would put on the lock when using locking the front disk. Apperently, someone are Rolling Thunder felt they needed it more than I did a few years back and cut it off the lock, just havent gotten a new one yet.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:44 AM
rod18cdz
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

True dat, I used to have a "Remove Before Flight" lanard on a key ring I would put on the lock when using locking the front disk. Apperently, someone are Rolling Thunder felt they needed it more than I did a few years back and cut it off the lock, just havent gotten a new one yet.
People never cease to amaze me.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:38 PM
07_Dyna
Cruiser

I found it - rofl - but I use a much bigger lock - so much so I wonder if this hole will allow it to bang on the motor. Guess I'll find out

I rode a V-rod today! Cat was trying to sell it. I didn't like it, at all. Drag racer - in my mind, good for nothing else It did scurry right along, though!