Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing TSM

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 05:58 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Replacing TSM

I learned something today.

Last month I got tired of my TSSM and opted to change to a TSM. In other words, I no longer wanted security on my bike.

I put a TSM on my bike and now, every now and then when I rip on the throttle too hard, my bike will stall and say "tIP" on the console. Through friends, I figured out it was my Bank Angle Sensor (or tip sensor) that has apparently gone bad. I bought the "new to me" TSM off ebay and it was used when I bought it...although they said it worked. Well, it did for the most part but something was up with the BAS and it is part of the TSM module. So...lesson learned....

I went to Harley today and bought a NEW TSM (Part # 68920-07), I was surprised they had it in stock but apparently it fits many models.

Well, when I changed from the TSSM to the TSM, I had to go theough the password learn procedure (which is documented pretty well on this site on how to do it). When I replaced my TSM with another TSM, I found out today that you dont have to go through that password procedure again. ...maybe because it is the same part #? Not sure.

But when I replaced it today, I was expecting to have to go through the 30 minute password procedure and to my surprise, the bike started and everything seems to be running fine. I couldnt find any info like this on the site so I thought it would be good to document it for others that have to replace their TSM.

Was it just me or did others know this? Hahaha

Old 09-05-2014, 06:08 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Why would someone replace the TSSM with a TSM? It's not like you can't set it to not be active. Least on my bike you can. Knew it came set to auto on in some countries per the instructions but it was an option. Did your 07 not have an option? I just use it in place of a key but I pulled the siren. Usually when the bank angle goes, it won't start. Not sure what would cause that to go unless it's actually a mechanical setup like a mercury column.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:15 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Why would someone replace the TSSM with a TSM? It's not like you can't set it to not be active. Least on my bike you can. Knew it came set to auto on in some countries per the instructions but it was an option. Did your 07 not have an option? I just use it in place of a key but I pulled the siren. Usually when the bank angle goes, it won't start. Not sure what would cause that to go unless it's actually a mechanical setup like a mercury column.
I wont pretend like I know but I was told by a friend that works at a shop (Chris Rivas V-Twin in Fresno, CA) that he had the same problem with his Dyna Glide. It doesnt happen all the time but every now and then, if you take off kinda hard it will trip the sensor and shut the bike down. A buddy almost hit me when mine did it. I started to tear off the line and BOOM, bike shut down and "tIP" was on the console. I had to turn the ignition all the way off and then back on to restart. He said its something about that BAS that starts going bad and will get worse over time.

As far as going from the TSSM to the TSM, I was tired of dealing with the key FOB and was just another thing to go bad. I wanted to stick the key in the ignition and then ride, period.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:02 PM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ghoticov
As far as going from the TSSM to the TSM, I was tired of dealing with the key FOB and was just another thing to go bad. I wanted to stick the key in the ignition and then ride, period.
I just did the same thing.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:46 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr Bentwrench
I just did the same thing.
I am surprised more people dont do this. To me, the alarm is worthless.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:13 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Welp, I am at a loss.

Even after replacing the TSM (bought a new one from Harley), I am still getting the "tIP" code on the dash and the bike is shutting down. It only happens in first gear and when i get on the throttle hard. So at this point, I can rule out another bad TSM. Something is tripping the Bank Angle Sensor and causing thd bike to shut down.

Does anyone know what would cause this?

Last edited by ghoticov; 09-06-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

There appears to be a second part with the antenna and sending unit attached to the system. Did you remove that? Also see in my 2008 Dyna manual that there is no option for disable like my 04. Major omission. Realize you can use the pass pin with the signals but that is a challenge if you have not brushed up on it. And like you do not want it, there should be a manual setting to give you a choice. Never seen a law in the US mandating it like some foreign countries.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:36 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
There appears to be a second part with the antenna and sending unit attached to the system. Did you remove that? Also see in my 2008 Dyna manual that there is no option for disable like my 04. Major omission. Realize you can use the pass pin with the signals but that is a challenge if you have not brushed up on it. And like you do not want it, there should be a manual setting to give you a choice. Never seen a law in the US mandating it like some foreign countries.
There is only one cable that goes to the TSM. When i had the TSSM, there was the main cable that went into the TSSM unit and then another cable that plugged into the TSSM that was right next to the main one, which was the antenn. There is also a cord going to the siren, which is right now unplugged because i do not have a siren. It is just unplugged under the seat and i am not sure where that cord runs to.... but i cant imagine it would have anything to do with the BAS that is tripping causing the bike to shut down?

Old 09-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain

I tried the manual procedure of the old off/on, press this x times then that y times and then burp and then fart. Dealer said they have never really seen that procedure work anyway. They reflashed my ECM for $48 in the hour we were at lunch and it's flawless.

As for cutting out under hard acceleration I bet that would be a real killer for anybody trying to drag race their Dyna. Never seen this guaranteed losing condition mentioned on the HD racing forums.

BTW, 2007 FXDL Low Rider too

Old 09-06-2014, 03:42 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr Bentwrench
I tried the manual procedure of the old off/on, press this x times then that y times and then burp and then fart. Dealer said they have never really seen that procedure work anyway. They reflashed my ECM for $48 in the hour we were at lunch and it's flawless.

As for cutting out under hard acceleration I bet that would be a real killer for anybody trying to drag race their Dyna. Never seen this guaranteed losing condition mentioned on the HD racing forums.
Its also not good with running with your crew, that rides hard and having it cut out and almost getting rear ended by a bro. :/ Thats why i am trying to figure this out.

The reprogramming worked, the bike is not throwing any codes. And if the "marrying" procedure didnt work, the bike would not start.... the ecm wouldnt let it.

Quick Reply: Replacing TSM