Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

09 rocker c, replacing fried speedo

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 09:24 AM
Ryan Lee Brasher
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 rocker c, replacing fried speedo

Hey guys, I'd appreciate any help I can get with this. I'm replacing my stock speedo on my 09 fxcwc. The problem is, I'm replacing it because the old one (according to the dealer) got fried when a buddy of mine attempted to jump my bike. To set the new one, it seems it needs to communicate with the old one? Obviously this isn't happening. The new one won't program, but I wanted to see if anyone could confirm that this could cause the problem.

Taking it to the dealer is a last ditch option for me since it should be an easy job and no one there was smart enough to know this was an issue when I bought the new speedometer.

Do I have options? Am I possibly misunderstanding the directions? I'm specifically getting the "no cal" error.

Thanks!

Old 07-05-2015, 09:20 AM
wastedranger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Old speedo has to be plugged in and operational for the switch to be made. Unsure of which year switch was made but new models keep mileage in ecm and older models keep it in the speedometer itself. Without a functioning speedo it can't get the info. Might be able to pull functioning one off a pals bike and plug it in for the switch. Mileage from that speedo will be loaded though. Hope this helps.