Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

How to... Aftermarket LED headlight install, with pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 07:45 PM
nebraider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to... Aftermarket LED headlight install, with pics

Most people around this forum I have seen like a good deal, so I figured I would bite and buy a cheap aftermarket LED headlight.
Here is the process for those that wondered. Other brands may require the buckets to be modified differently.
Figured I would save myself more money and modify what I had rather than spend nearly what the light cost for a crappy headlight bucket.
The light is a Genissi brand, about $90.
I have not had it out on the road as its freezing cold but I will post back in here with light path pics and a review when it warms up, hopefully soon.

Mark the inner bucket about 1" to be removed to fit this style of light. The rear is much bigger.

Cut around with a saw, cutoff wheel etc...

Now time to clean it up. Grinding wheel works best for me, then followed up with a wire wheel to smooth it out.

Do the same to the other bucket, removing the beveled portion so the light can fit thru....then grind and finish like before.

Headlight

Install inner bucket to outer (remember the spring under there) trim ring over the top to secure light. Plug in light to socket, Install bucket to fairing....done.