Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Gauge and instrument indicators not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 07:37 PM
the_enforcer
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gauge and instrument indicators not working

I was out riding today. Bike was completely fine. Pulled into get some gas, shut the bike off, filled up and when I turned the ignition on my gauge didn't light up. The turn signals, high beam and neutral indicator lights don't light up either. Bike still starts and runs fine. All turn signals, tail lights, headlight and horn still function as they should. The bike is normal all except not having my gauge and indicator lights not working. Checked fuses and none were blown or bad. No pinched wires anywhere. First time this has ever happened. Anybody have a clue of what it could be or where I should look next?

Bike is a 2016 softail breakout and has a Dakota digital gauge and custom dynamic turn/tail lights.

The following users liked this post:
Ez88rider (05-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2016, 07:40 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by the_enforcer
I was out riding today. Bike was completely fine. Pulled into get some gas, shut the bike off, filled up and when I turned the ignition on my gauge didn't light up. The turn signals, high beam and neutral indicator lights don't light up either. Bike still starts and runs fine. All turn signals, tail lights, headlight and horn still function as they should. The bike is normal all except not having my gauge and indicator lights not working. Checked fuses and none were blown or bad. No pinched wires anywhere. First time this has ever happened. Anybody have a clue of what it could be or where I should look next?

Bike is a 2016 softail breakout and has a Dakota digital gauge and custom dynamic turn/tail lights.
Clean and tighten battery cables first then go from there. If nothing is found, disconnect the CD set up and try that next,

Old 06-05-2016, 09:48 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by the_enforcer

Does the light on the speedometer work?
Does the speedometer work.
Try pulling the dash and check the connection going to the speedo.
Power feed wire is red orange.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:49 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,308 Likes on 1,907 Posts

When the Digital gauge was installed did you splice into the wire from the Battery fuse to get power?

Check for codes:

https://dgcustomcycle.com/tech/harle...es-04-present/

Old 06-06-2016, 10:10 AM
the_enforcer
Cruiser

Battery terminals are clean and tight. Put original bulbs back in all lights and still nothing. The gauge does not light up or turn on at all. It's all digital. The indicators bar on the handlebar do not light up either. The Dakota digital gauge was a simple plug and play hookup from factory harness. All I had to do was unplug factory gauge and plug in the Dakota. It's ran and operated fine since installed around 1400 miles ago. I'll pull the dash off and check the wires to make sure there isn't a pinched wire somewhere but I would think if there was then it would be blowing a fuse, and none are blown.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:37 PM
the_enforcer
Cruiser

Problem solved. Not really sure how, but everything works now. When I got home from work today I disconnected the battery and removed my dash. Checked over all wires and connectors. Everything checked out good. Took the gauge out of cluster to check the connectors. Everything checked out there also. Puzzled, I stepped away for a couple beers trying to think what else. Put everything back together carefully, hooked up battery, turned the ignition on and low and behold it light up! I'm guessing it was a loose connection to the speedo gauge. But all is good now. Thanks all for the help.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:13 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

I'm thinking disconnecting battery, "rebooted" the system.