Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Headlights and spotlights not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 09:30 AM
Jasn69ste
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights and spotlights not working

I have a 2008 FLHTCU with approx. 60,000 miles on it. I now do not have headlights (low or high beam) or either spot light. I have changed the fuse and made sure I am getting continuity and power across it. I have checked for power at the headlight plug itself and I am showing 12 volts on my Fluke 77H multi-meter on both the high and low plug, you can see the power switching between the two with the hi/low switch. Now that sounds like a it would be a bulb right? Well so did I, and I have good continuity across the bulb as well as have put a known good headlight bulb in with no luck. I have cleaned and scuffed the clean, dirty, triple tree and battery grounds and made sure they are tight with good continuity. The accessory connectors which are SMU'd to the wiring harness of the headlights have good power and ground. When I switch from hi/low using the thumb switch the blue Hi beam light will come on but when I touch the hi beam plug with a test light it will go out but comes back on after a few seconds when the test light is removed. Additionally, the battery was replaced within 2 months and the stator was replaced last year and is providing excellent power output. When I turn the ignition switch to on I am not noticing anything else abnormal just the lack of headlights/spotlights.

I wonder about the rocker switch which control the spotlights, since it turns them off when the hi beam is turned on but that shouldn't effect the low beam headlight. Right?

I appreciate any help and advice. Thank you again.