Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Low-Mid Range Cam: SE255, 48h, or TW222?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 09:35 AM
ahmoose
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low-Mid Range Cam: SE255, 48h, or TW222?

I know this has been asked a million and one times already. I have pretty much narrowed down the cam choice to these three. Some details on the bike: 2011 RK Classic, 103 engine, stage 1 done (HD heavy breather, V&H monster ovals, Jackpot 2-1-2 headers), and Dynojet PCV with autotune. Mostly do two up riding and rarely get to high rpm and thus 99% of the time I am cruising and thus the three cams chosen above are for the low to mid range torque. Also do a lot of canyon riding, lots of speed and shifting variation but mostly below <50mph.

All else being equal, I know the SE255 (25 intake closing) brings it on at lower rpm than the 48h (29 intake closing), and 48h lower than the 222 (34 intake closing).

Questions:

--255 is the torque king due to the short duration and of course lowest intake closing, is there any concern with long term reliability (valve train) or excessive heat? Has anyone out there experienced any reliability issues with this cam? My bike does have an oil cooler, I run full synthetic (Mobil 1), and can easily adjust the air fuel due to the Autotune (I run at 13.5 AFR, 13.8 at 6th gear cruising).
--255 vs 48h: any significant performance difference? Would there be a felt and noticeable difference in how the bike performs or are they so close in specs it really does not make a difference?

--48h: anyone have this cam with a 103? I found lots of reviews with the 48h but not with the 103. With the 103: Impressions, exhaust sound, valve train sound, etc?

--255: if installed by Harley dealer, is there some f’n EPA process they need to follow that would sacrifice performance?

--IF IF IF IF I were to get some headwork done in the future, what cam is the best choice out of the three? I read somewhere with the 103 engine you want a cam more towards the mid range like the 222, but am not sure here if this is a figment of my imagination or true.

--The bike has about 12k miles, should the lifters be replaced with the cam job? Are the HD SE lifters better than the stock or are stock acceptable with any of these cams?

Any other input would be appreciated, my top choice is likely the 48h just because it falls in the middle of the three and the 255 just concerns me with such an early intake closing and is somewhat at the extreme end of cam specs and I want a little more balance for a low to mid range cam.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:16 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,817 Likes on 3,319 Posts
Default Tw-222

it's a tough choice, but i do know woods designs the 222 for stock builds.

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 11-11-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:59 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

222 and a tune from fuel moto emailed to you, load it in your tuner and go. The 48 would work too, as well as a handful of others.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:34 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,
that 255 is the way to go for how you describe ride, great screamin eagle product
thanks
mirrmu

Old 11-11-2014, 06:18 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ahmoose
--255 is the torque king due to the short duration and of course lowest intake closing, is there any concern with long term reliability (valve train) or excessive heat?
no reliability issues whatsoever with any of these cams as long as they're installed correctly. the drawback to the 255 is it's an EPA cam so heat is going to be there. It can be tuned out but you need to find someone to tune it out that knows what they're doing. I feel very confident in saying I don't think you'll be able to achieve it with the PC and auto tune alone.

--255 vs 48h: any significant performance difference? Would there be a felt and noticeable difference in how the bike performs or are they so close in specs it really does not make a difference?
huge difference down low with the 255 being the choice here and where the 255 falls off will be shorter than the 48h as it will carry out further to the right of the curve.

--48h: anyone have this cam with a 103? I found lots of reviews with the 48h but not with the 103. With the 103: Impressions, exhaust sound, valve train sound, etc?
48h was always my cam of choice for the 96". I don't find it works well with an otherwise stock 103. Add some headwork to the mix and all things change including what I would consider "waking this cam up"

--255: if installed by Harley dealer, is there some f’n EPA process they need to follow that would sacrifice performance?
there is nothing "mechanical" that will be done any different than any other cam install. Again, this cam needs to be tuned properly to get the heat out.

--IF IF IF IF I were to get some headwork done in the future, what cam is the best choice out of the three?
you'll get 1000 different answers on this. It's all about you, your riding style, and your budget. The 48H performs VERY well in a 103 with mild head work and a .030 head gasket. That's been proven time and time again.

I read somewhere with the 103 engine you want a cam more towards the mid range like the 222, but am not sure here if this is a figment of my imagination or true.
222 is a great cam but your headwork should not dictate your cam. Your cam choice should dictate your headwork so be sure if you get headwork done that you discuss this with whomever is going to do the headwork.

--The bike has about 12k miles, should the lifters be replaced with the cam job? Are the HD SE lifters better than the stock or are stock acceptable with any of these cams?
ABSOLUTELY change your lifters. Change those stock cam bearings also. do not waste your $ on SE lifters. They're junk just like the stock lifters are. Get you a set of comp cam, wood, blackops, s&s, etc.

Any other input would be appreciated, my top choice is likely the 48h just because it falls in the middle of the three and the 255 just concerns me with such an early intake closing and is somewhat at the extreme end of cam specs and I want a little more balance for a low to mid range cam.
bottom line is all 3 cams are a good choice.

255 is strong down low, falls off earlier than most, and is a heat producer. A good tune is needed to tame the heat but it is done all the time by good tuners.

48H is a little softer on the bottom end (hole shots) but is an excellent choice for a bagger cam in a 103 with headwork. If you don't plan on headwork, then skip this cam for a stock 103 IMO.

222 is a great choice as well. Comes on strong at the bottom and carries out to the right well. I'm not a fan of Wood cams for my own retarded reasons but dynos tell the story. I've put many in for folks and they love them as well.

Another good low-mid range cam to look at is Steve's cam from GMR Performance, the Genesis 577. Great bolt in cam as well and does even better with head work.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:33 PM
ahmoose
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the input...

...lots to think about, I will mull this over. Thanks all!

Old 11-11-2014, 11:54 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

...lots to think about, I will mull this over. Thanks all!
I just went through the whole process you are a couple weeks ago. I finally decided on the 222 and I am not disappointed at all. Comes on early and pulls very hard as far out as I need it. Turned my 103 into a whole new bike. I am very happy. I know after just talking to a local shop here that does a lot of builds that they are recommending the Fueling 575 now for this application. Seems like a lot of lift, but they claim they are using these now instead of the 222 or 48h. Not to confuse you more, just thought I'd toss that out. UltraNutz and ke5rbd have a lot of good advice in this area.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:50 PM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

ide do the S&S .551 or .583 over the 255`s any day

Old 12-22-2014, 12:21 AM
saz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
ide do the S&S .551 or .583 over the 255`s any day
Good to know, would you take the .583 over the 48?