Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Post lifter install question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 06:49 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Post lifter install question

I've got a 2011 RG Custom w/ 103". Late last season I installed a set of SE255 cams, Hi-flow AC, de-catted head pipe, and had it tuned. Came to find out shortly thereafter that I had a lifter going south. So I put in a new set of Johnson Hi-lift lifters and Rockouts while I was in there. Still using the stock push rods. At the initial startup there was quite a bit of chatter until everything pumped up. It did quiet down pretty quickly though. Had the chance to get out for a ride today and at start up it did the same thing, although not as loud and probably not as long. My question is....is this normal? I have read that some guys have gone back to conventional oil to quiet it down at start up. I also have a set of SE tapered adjustable push rods that I could install if it that would help remedy the noise when it's started. Everything seems to have gone back together as it is supposed to. It runs fine, throttle response is good, and it does quiet down after it's been running for a bit. Is there anything else I should check or look at? TIA.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:35 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,494 Posts

No experience with the Johnson Hi-Lift lifters; not that many on this forum use them. S&S Standard and Premium seem to be the lifters of choice here. Not saying that a set of S&S lifters will solve your problem but it sounds like the Johnsons are leaking down after shut down and the remaining tick could be solved with the adjustable pushrods. Maybe someone with experience with the Johnson lifters will join in.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:20 PM
Little Mike
Road Master

Sounds like the only way to figure out the cause would be to install the adjustable PRs and if that doesn't resolve the issue then pull the lifters.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:07 PM
Eastcoast Jim
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

With adjustable pushrods you can adjust the lifters a little tighter - sometimes that is what is needed. The non adjustable is for an assembly line. I'm a little **** about bargain & noisy lifters , I've had Screamin Eagle lifters go soft run with a mild cam in 25000 miles. If there is a failure that will cost you a motor. There are many who use Johnson Lifters. I agree with djl use S&S Standard lifters or Fueling HP 400. I recently replaced my Fueling lifters after 70,000 miles on top of some stiff cams. I run them adjusted to .130 and have a quiet valve train with Woods TW6H cams , gear drive & roller rockers, just a little whirring & clicking. Eastcoast Jim

Old 01-24-2017, 06:53 PM
Little Mike
Road Master

I had researched lifters before purchasing and didn't take away from anyone's experiences that the Johnson's were bargain lifters. Final decision was based on the fact that they are made in the USA. I looked at the S&S Standard lifters but when I asked their own customer service people where they were made I was told in Mexico. Another member contacted their Southern Territory Manager and was told the same thing. Now, this has been disputed by those charged with covering their involvement here and on other social media/ forums. Either way, someone is lying. Whether that's their media person or both a Territory Manager and, by their own declaration, a very respected customer service agent...I don't really care. If they are made in Mexico, as are the widely panned C lifters from Harley, is there any difference? How many different lifter manufacturing plants could there really be in Mexico.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:10 PM
DonnieM
Road Captain

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

S&S lifters are US made, I just installed a set and yes they are different than HD mexico lifters

Old 01-25-2017, 05:37 PM
Little Mike
Road Master

The Premiums are for sure made here. On the Standards there seems to be confusion within S&S about their origin. I'm sure there is a reason the Premiums are nearly twice the price, have Made In the USA stamped all over them and their website but on the Standards there is ZERO mention anywhere on their website, the part, or the packaging about where they come from.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:23 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Mike
The Premiums are for sure made here. On the Standards there seems to be confusion within S&S about their origin. I'm sure there is a reason the Premiums are nearly twice the price, have Made In the USA stamped all over them and their website but on the Standards there is ZERO mention anywhere on their website, the part, or the packaging about where they come from.
The Premiums are also made to tighter tolerances than the Standards which contributes to the added cost. I don't know where the Standards are made but have also heard reports that they are made in Mexico but you can hear anything on the .www.

BTW, are the Johnson lifter you run the "slow bleed" type? You must remember that when you shut down the motor, one or two valves will be held open and forcing the supporting lifter to bleed down. The start up noise you are hearing is most likely those lifters pumping up but they should pump up pretty quick.

I run Woods Directional lifters in my all bore 107" motor that may sit for a week or more between startups. That motor rattles like a thrashing machine on cold startup after sitting for days/weeks. Lifters pumping up and cold forged pistons add to the chorus. However, by the time I get my gear on, the rattle is nearly gone and by the time the motor is close to operating temperature, very quiet. The start up clatter would be off putting to someone not familiar with the characteristics of these air cooled vtwin motors.

Last edited by djl; 01-26-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:00 AM
koreric75
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock HD lifters less than 15000 miles on the 96" stock motor.
This is what was found during my cam install, seems extreme for a stock 96" with less than 15000mi on it? After seeing this I started doing more research and ultimately found 100's of posts and forums of horror stories about one thing or the other and just as many with 50000mi motors that have never been opened and still going strong.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:11 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,793 Likes on 3,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Mike
Sounds like the only way to figure out the cause would be to install the adjustable PRs and if that doesn't resolve the issue then pull the lifters.
That would be a great start and Set preload to .140". I use nothing but S&S standards and have never had an issue, not even at 6500+ rpm....