Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

103 Cam Install Parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 08:52 AM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Have you considered a .030 head gasket with that cam... A little time and $100 gasket set should pick up the ccp from 186 to 191psi... very good street manners.... Would love to see the outcome of your cam addition.. Start a thread..
What all is involved in doing a .030 head gasket beside pulling off the heads extra ?. I run the Andrews 48s, would It be worth my time with these cams?

Old 11-23-2017, 04:53 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,939 Likes on 3,374 Posts

Originally Posted by rsking45
What all is involved in doing a .030 head gasket beside pulling off the heads extra ?. I run the Andrews 48s, would It be worth my time with these cams?
I would not bump​​​ up the compression on the 48's. 29* intake close was made for stock compression...

Old 11-23-2017, 07:57 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I'm doing a cam swap to 555's....I picked up the cam service kit from the dealership, which is kinda a rip off...it comes with all the gaskets an O rings an new breathers but it also includes cam bearings that won't be used since I'll be installing the better bearings. I got the lock outs (rock outs) too...I don't have any noise right now but thought they're cheap insurance in case the increased lift causes any noise. I'm not messing with the lifters at this point, I only have 8K on it.

The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (11-23-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 10:00 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm going to steal this thread for a second as I have a similar build going.
I planned on stock push rods and a .030 gasket with a .557 lift cam. Is there going to be clearance issues? Stock 103ho pistons,heads.

Old 11-24-2017, 03:19 PM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I would not bump​​​ up the compression on the 48's. 29* intake close was made for stock compression...
What if I was to go wth a different cam and want to bump compression. Is it just a matterof disassasembe installing new gasket, assemble adj my pushrods and dyno tune? I would think there might be some possible clearance issues.

Sense I’ll be pulling the rocker box’s off ,only a few more bolts and I could have the heads off. I’m also be in the cam chest to check the tensioner so won’t be much to replace the cam

Old 11-24-2017, 11:25 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,222 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Just finished my cam swap yesterday to woods 222's. it goes pretty easy if you have a lift and all other tools to do the job. don't forget to pick up a pack of cam sprocket shims ( 10 bucks at the dealer) I had to use a different one to get the sprockets aligned within .010 . I also replaced my tensioners with a set of S&S ones although my old ones had almost no wear at 28k miles but figured did not want to get into cam chest for a long time and had already bought the new ones. was my first time so had about 6 to 7 hours into it, a lot of the time is removing and installing the exhaust, plus also replaced the lifters. the quickee push rods for sure save you some time. the guy in the video says 3.3 turns, but I set mine at 4 turns as per the S&S instructions
all of the S&S parts come from e bay at a good price. the S&S bearing set comes with o rings, forward cam snap ring and chest cover gasket all for about 30 bucks.

Last edited by MRFREEZE57; 11-24-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:31 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rsking45
What if I was to go wth a different cam and want to bump compression. Is it just a matterof disassasembe installing new gasket, assemble adj my pushrods and dyno tune? I would think there might be some possible clearance issues.

Sense I’ll be pulling the rocker box’s off ,only a few more bolts and I could have the heads off. I’m also be in the cam chest to check the tensioner so won’t be much to replace the cam
The 07 later heads are good to .580" lift so, no you won't have any issues...

Originally Posted by MRFREEZE57
Just finished my cam swap yesterday to woods 222's. it goes pretty easy if you have a lift and all other tools to do the job. don't forget to pick up a pack of cam sprocket shims ( 10 bucks at the dealer) I had to use a different one to get the sprockets aligned within .010 . I also replaced my tensioners with a set of S&S ones although my old ones had almost no wear at 28k miles but figured did not want to get into cam chest for a long time and had already bought the new ones. was my first time so had about 6 to 7 hours into it, a lot of the time is removing and installing the exhaust, plus also replaced the lifters. the quickee push rods for sure save you some time. the guy in the video says 3.3 turns, but I set mine at 4 turns as per the S&S instructions
all of the S&S parts come from e bay at a good price. the S&S bearing set comes with o rings, forward cam snap ring and chest cover gasket all for about 30 bucks.
So how does it run? you gonna Dyno tune it?

Old 11-26-2017, 11:16 AM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,222 Likes on 1,943 Posts

The 07 later heads are good to .580" lift so, no you won't have any issues...

So how does it run? you gonna Dyno tune it?
haven't been able to get too many miles yet due to weather but it does seem to come on stronger at low rpm. I let it lug a bit in 4th gear about 30mph then twist the throttle and it for sure picks up much better. the real test will be when have the wife on back with travel gear.
Jamie at fuel moto sent me a tune for the power vision, and while the weather is cool now, I experienced no pinging even when lugging the motor where as with the stock cams would get pinging under hard acceleration also decel pop is gone now.
want to see how my gas mileage is when weather is better.
doubt will get a dyno tune . also valve train noise seems less although did install S&S premium lifters and quickee push rods.
also it has a slightly lumpier idle to it.

Last edited by MRFREEZE57; 11-26-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:45 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MRFREEZE57
haven't been able to get too many miles yet due to weather but it does seem to come on stronger at low rpm. I let it lug a bit in 4th gear about 30mph then twist the throttle and it for sure picks up much better. the real test will be when have the wife on back with travel gear.
Jamie at fuel moto sent me a tune for the power vision, and while the weather is cool now, I experienced no pinging even when lugging the motor where as with the stock cams would get pinging under hard acceleration also decel pop is gone now.
want to see how my gas mileage is when weather is better.
doubt will get a dyno tune . also valve train noise seems less although did install S&S premium lifters and quickee push rods.
also it has a slightly lumpier idle to it.
Glad to hear.... Ride safe man....

Old 11-30-2017, 02:55 PM
94 ultra
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by langwilliams
I'm doing a cam swap to 555's....I picked up the cam service kit from the dealership, which is kinda a rip off...it comes with all the gaskets an O rings an new breathers but it also includes cam bearings that won't be used since I'll be installing the better bearings. I got the lock outs (rock outs) too...I don't have any noise right now but thought they're cheap insurance in case the increased lift causes any noise. I'm not messing with the lifters at this point, I only have 8K on it.
Change the lifters