Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Cam install question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 04:25 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Cam install question

Installing new cams with lifters on a 2014 103. Also removing the rockers to install the rockout inserts.
I can still use the stock push rods? Really do not want to mess with the adjustable push rods unless needed.
V&H branded 575 cam kit and V&H branded lifters.

The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (10-14-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 11:12 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

It depends on the cam from what I've heard...some use a slightly dif lob size...I'm changing cams in my '15 103 over the winter an I plan on using the stock push rods with my tw 555 cam...I have to remove the gas tank an remove the rocker covers to do it...I might get the lock outs too. since you're already removing the rocker shafts reusing the stock push rods will be easy. A few years from now if I replace the lifters I might go with the adjustables so I don't have to remove the gas tank an rocker covers. the V&H website doesn't say anything about needing adj push rods either.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:26 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,808 Likes on 3,313 Posts

It depends on the diameter of the base circle of the cam... if they are the same no problem. If the new cam has a smaller diameter then you will need the adjustables... To be able to achieve higher lobe lift some cams are ground with smaller base circles..

Stud Duck (10-17-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 07:11 AM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

IIRC that cam has a 40 IVC so regardless of base circle I would do a 0.030 hg while the top is off just for the compression bump. Plus if you cam swap down road you'll have the adjustables and compression that suits more cams.

Last edited by ntraindavefl; 10-14-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:15 AM
TontoTonto
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by barrygreen
Really do not want to mess with the adjustable push rods unless needed..
I am curious as to why you don't want to mess with adjustable push rods? IMO, the adjustable push rods are so much easier to work with than the stock ones. I do about 99% of the work on my bike and am often in the cam chest playing with different cams, If I had to take the tank and the rocker boxes off every time that I was in there, I would go crazy. Is part of the reason why you don't want to use the adjustable push rods due to you don't know how to adjust them? If that is the case, don't sweat it, it is so easy!

Old 10-14-2017, 11:04 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by TontoTonto
I am curious as to why you don't want to mess with adjustable push rods? IMO, the adjustable push rods are so much easier to work with than the stock ones. I do about 99% of the work on my bike and am often in the cam chest playing with different cams, If I had to take the tank and the rocker boxes off every time that I was in there, I would go crazy. Is part of the reason why you don't want to use the adjustable push rods due to you don't know how to adjust them? If that is the case, don't sweat it, it is so easy!
Well... I do not plan on going any further with this engine. As stupid as this may sound I am pretty happy with it now. I have been debating over a year now on the cam swap.
I am going to have the rockers off to install the RockOut bushings anyway so the cam swap seems to be the thing to do at this time if I am going to do it. With the setup I have now these cams were recommended
by the people I purchased the ThunderMax from and V&H. As far as adjusting valve train that is not a issue at all, . I was just going to save a few $$$ by using the stock push rods. V&H says these
are bolt in cams and will accept stock valve train parts, but I am replacing the lifters also....just wanted some opinions and I appreciate any further input.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:06 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ntraindavefl
IIRC that cam has a 40 IVC so regardless of base circle I would do a 0.030 hg while the top is off just for the compression bump. Plus if you cam swap down road you'll have the adjustables and compression that suits more cams.
Heads are not coming off...just the rockers to replace install the bushings.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:24 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

You really need to talk to VnH to see of the base circle is the same if you want to use the stock pushrods.. You can compare it to the stocker or if you can measure it, I can dig up a set of stock cams.. Still, I'd go adjustable anyway. Mainly due to some cams / lifters are quieter if you add a little the preload on the lifter.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:18 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default u can get stock longer ones too

pushrods that look like the stock ones also come in longer lengths think they go up by .010 increments. not sure how far stock pushrods would take lifters too after a preload condition. Harley recommends 2.5 turns on adjustables, believe that is about .130 guys that build engines in chat usually say .140 after preload or 3 turns on adjustables.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:35 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member

Ok you guys have convinced me , just ordered the adjustable push rods....not too bad found the SE rods for 150 shipped.

robbyville (10-15-2017)

Quick Reply: Cam install question