Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Piece of rag in crank case

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 12:50 AM
Sworrix222
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Piece of rag in crank case

I have a 07 road king classic I just bought and have only rode 1 time...recently pulled out the crankshaft sensor to replace it while I was waiting on the new one to arrive I temporarily put a small piece of cotton tag approx 3”x3” in the crank shaft sensor hole to keep drt out unfortunately I forgot the rag was in there and went to start the bike after replacing grips and wanted to check to make sure the throttle was correct. I cranked the bike 2-3 times for 2-3 seconds max with the sensor out and bye bye rag sucked it right in with the flywheel... what should I do I’ve of course drained the oil pulled the filter even pullled the DO NOT TOUCH sump drain...I’ve filled the sump with oil through the crank sensor hole turned the engine over by hand the only place I’m getting reminents are out of the sump hole nothing big just really small pieces I’ve tried air compressor everything I can think...how far could that rag go without starting and losing compression out of the crank sensor hole??? Definitely has not made it to the pan or back to the filter no signs there. Where would it go next from the crank case? Will the engine shred it and filter it out or will it cost me a motor. I was thinking pulling the jugs or pulling the cam chest getting to the oil pump.any suggestions? What should I do .. any help would be greatly appreciated. And yes I know I’m an idiot so please don’t remind me... would greatly appreciate any help on what to do. Weather is breaking and it’s time to ride. Won’t be riding till next year if I have to split the cases or buy a motor ..thanks

Old 04-27-2018, 02:48 AM
03fattyaz
Road Master

Received 449 Likes on 221 Posts

I say ride it and hope for the best! Keep an eye on oil pressure if it shoots up quick kill it. My thoughts are it may clog a return line but it could just get shredded and filtered out. I think ride it man...I'm sending you positive vibes..,

Old 04-27-2018, 05:40 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 921 Likes on 639 Posts

So you're running two threads on this hoping for different answers than the first one? There's already three pages on your first post here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...e-problem.html

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 04-27-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:44 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 03fattyaz
I say ride it and hope for the best! Keep an eye on oil pressure if it shoots up quick kill it. My thoughts are it may clog a return line but it could just get shredded and filtered out. I think ride it man...I'm sending you positive vibes..,
This is not a good plan. Like I stated in his other thread on the same subject - at a minimum he needs to take the top end off. If a rag was pulled in through the crank hole, it was by the reluctor teeth. He needs to stop turning it over & filling it with fluids and take the top end off.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 04-27-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:56 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 639 Posts

mr. ed is mucho spot on!!! pull the easiest jug set.
natural engine operation will try and force the rag towards the scavenge oil pump BUT: it can get chewed up and find it way into splash lube bearing point, not so good!

true story:
we put in a generator set with a straight 8 waukesha natural gas engine, the other crew set the O2 wrong and crisp the engine. waukesha crew came out and overhauled it under warranty but someone left a rag in it. the rag plugged the oil pump and crisped another engine, waukesha ate it and overhauled it again.

another time, on a tender drilling platform, a mechanic left a 9/16 open/box inside the generator, cranked it up and it threw the prettiest blue flames and molten copper you could imagine.

closer to home, father took delivery of a new tractor. he got on it to drive it to the barn and it broke into two pieces, some knucklehead left a wrench inside the tranny.

NEVER HOPE FOR THE BEST
when it is in the power of your hands to fix it right.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:10 PM
Sworrix222
Cruiser

Yeah I’ve started tearing the bike down got the exhaust off tank seat basics so far I have a new cam cover so I went ahead and pulled it off just for shzz and giggles. I’m thinking when it’s all said and done I’m going to want to and maybe end up pulling the pump making sure it’s clean while I have the heads off it won’t hurt to pull the cans. Replace my tensioner while I’m at it. Like you said do it right. It’s the only way .. If I so happen to pull the front jug and I find it down in there I have a whole Top and gasket kit should I pull the second jog and replace the gaskets or is it one of those if it’s not broke don’t fix it things?

Old 04-27-2018, 06:27 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

You must pull the cylinders and pistons to really be able to get into the bottom end to see and clean it out.

I have been there in the past getting loose factory case sealant out of the cases.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 04-27-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:14 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

I posted pics in your other thread - hopefully they help you understand what happened internally.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:46 PM
Sworrix222
Cruiser

I really do appreciate the pictures I totally understand. Just now getting ready to take the head bolts out wish me luck

Old 04-27-2018, 10:25 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,824 Likes on 1,377 Posts

to save yourself a bit of a headache........when you pull the jug.....just bring it up enough to remove the circlip and wrist pin from the piston.......leave the piston in the jug......that way you don't need a ring compressor to reinstall.