Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Maxi Pads and Galled Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 09:27 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

A lot of good suggestions. When I have a cylinder running hotter than the rest on my drag racing air cooled VW, the first thing I look for is a plugged injector, (this is mechanical injection ala Hilborn, so plugged injectors are much easier to see than electronic injectors). It runs on methanol, and when a hole goes lean, it gets ugly in a hurry.

After that, I'll look for vacuum leaks causing a lean condition. My VW is turbo'd tho and vacuum leaks are rarely an issue, but when it was normally aspirated, it was fairly common. These motors shake as bad as a Harley, so thing work loose, crack, etc.

If it was on my bike, I'd be looking at vacuum leaks, fuel delivery, blocked cooling air.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:56 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
A lot of good suggestions. When I have a cylinder running hotter than the rest on my drag racing air cooled VW, the first thing I look for is a plugged injector, (this is mechanical injection ala Hilborn, so plugged injectors are much easier to see than electronic injectors). It runs on methanol, and when a hole goes lean, it gets ugly in a hurry.

After that, I'll look for vacuum leaks causing a lean condition. My VW is turbo'd tho and vacuum leaks are rarely an issue, but when it was normally aspirated, it was fairly common. These motors shake as bad as a Harley, so thing work loose, crack, etc.

If it was on my bike, I'd be looking at vacuum leaks, fuel delivery, blocked cooling air.
Thanks for the helpful input.

Am ordering a fuel tank crossover line quick disconnect and when that arrives I'll be doing compression test, leak-down test, injector swap front-to rear, vacuum leak test, MAP sensor, IAC, TPS, air temp sensor, and baro sensor test just to eliminate the things within my control. I'll also be installing a data logging system incl wide band o2 sensors and dual gauge *if* I the system is capable of logging TP in addition to AFR and RPM. If I cant find a system capable of that, then I'll just bite the bullet and buy a thundermax.

Last edited by Z; 08-12-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:04 PM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 224 Posts

This is the one I was thinking of getting, does what you want.
https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/lsr21.htm#o2port

Look under o2 port tab

Old 08-13-2018, 11:53 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Z, what are you using for fuel?

10% ethanol?

More than 10%?

It needs to be fatter than running 100% gasoline.

Find a tuner in your area that knows power commanders, AND uses a dyno.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:43 AM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Z, what are you using for fuel?

10% ethanol?

More than 10%?

It needs to be fatter than running 100% gasoline.

Find a tuner in your area that knows power commanders, AND uses a dyno.
Whatever is in California Chevron 91 octane. CA does not mandate ethanol in their fuel, but if memory serves, this fuel is up to 10% ethanol.

Already been down the dyno tune route.