Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

88" Cam Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 11:20 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Good to hear you are making progress and happy with the SE204 cams but you would have been happy with the Andrews 21 or the S&$ 509 as well. Keep up posted on the results. 50 pilot sounds like too much but you gotta give the motor what it wants. When you go to the dyno, take a 46 and a 48, some .025" SS washers to raise the needle and a couple of main jets, up and down from what you are running now. Dialing in the carb is time consuming and requires checking AFR at idle, various partial throttle positions and WOT. If the tuner know what he is doing, he can check idle AFR first and get that right before the motor gets hot, then WOT, the partial throttel. It is fun changing jets on a hot motor.

The following users liked this post:
Prodigal_Sun (03-12-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 07:52 PM
Prodigal_Sun
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

Just switched to a 180 main jet, motor seems pretty happy with it. Now that the 'rona mania is tapering off I'll get it down to the dyno. I'll post results unless they are embarrassingly disappointing. I don't care if it's perfect as long as it isn't detonating or fouling plugs. I get 3 pulls with afr reading, hopefully I can tweak the screw between each one.

​​​​​I'm not made of money, but I'm competent to do my own work, so I don't see a reason to pay some stranger to set it up the way I might not like.
​I'll listen to their recommendation, take it home change what I need to change, ride it for a while, and bring it back eventually.

Old 06-07-2020, 03:41 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,508 Posts

It won't take a pull to check idle AFR but you need to get the motor up to operating temp first. You can adjust idle AFR while running with the idle AFR screw but if you can get there, make a note and change the slow jet accordingly. Once the motor is warm have the tuner ramp up the rpms slowly a couple off times say from 2000-3500 rpms and make note of the AFR; may need to drop or raise the needle. Then make the first WOT pull and, if necessary, change the main jet if necessary; still have two pulls left. Follow the same procedure to the next two pulls to get the most out of the three pulls and you should end up with a decent tune. You should have one size smaller/larger for the slow jet and the main jet although you may not need them. Make any adjustments between pulls; the motor will be hot and it will not be fun.