Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Crate motor off?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 11:09 PM
2deuceguy
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Crate motor off?

Working on an S&S 124HC crate motor. Thing is tuning in really weird. VE's are way off what I'm used to seeing. Bike has S&S 640 EZ start cams. Pulled a CCP test and a dynamic compression test. CCP came in at 145psi rear, 170psi front. Dynamic was 120 rear, 150 front. Leak down was at 3%front and 5%rear. I know the EZ start cams throw CCP off but is this far off front to rear normal? The numbers look to me like the cams are a tooth off. Any ideas?

Last edited by 2deuceguy; 01-10-2021 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:58 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,522 Posts

Don't know if cams being a tooth off are the problem but with 25psi difference between cylinders, cam timing would be worth checking out and easy enough to do.

The following users liked this post:
Hillsidecycle.com (02-09-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 01:04 PM
2deuceguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by djl
Don't know if cams being a tooth off are the problem but with 25psi difference between cylinders, cam timing would be worth checking out and easy enough to do.
That was pretty much my thoughts. This engine has around 20 miles on it but it's had probably a dozen different peoples hands on it before it came to me. They've been trying to get this running for the last 9 months or so, whole nother story there, but it's now running and supposed to be with me just for a tune. Something isn't right here though. Just trying to make sure I don't have a mechanical issue somewhere before spending more time on the tune. Another note is that the IAT numbers are coming in really high. 90-100°c when engine is only at 80°. Almost feels like it's pulsing out the intake.

Old 01-10-2021, 04:07 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,911 Likes on 3,362 Posts

I don't mess with EZ start cams and by what I hear trying to get a reasonable compression test is difficult at best.. I would start with a New IAT sensor.. Reading 100*c at ambient temp is out of line.. I would start there..

Old 01-11-2021, 06:08 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

20-25 psi difference is usually a cam 1 tooth off.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:19 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,707 Likes on 5,219 Posts

Originally Posted by 2deuceguy
That was pretty much my thoughts. This engine has around 20 miles on it but it's had probably a dozen different peoples hands on it before it came to me. They've been trying to get this running for the last 9 months or so, whole nother story there, but it's now running and supposed to be with me just for a tune. Something isn't right here though. Just trying to make sure I don't have a mechanical issue somewhere before spending more time on the tune. Another note is that the IAT numbers are coming in really high. 90-100°c when engine is only at 80°. Almost feels like it's pulsing out the intake.
Maybe I am missing something . Someone purchases a new crate engine. It does not run right. Why the heck are you even messing with it. Left them fix it. 9 months someone got screwed screwed. S&S does not sell you a create motor then ignore you when it does not run right.
They would have it figured out in flash . The rest of this story may help a lot.

Last edited by smitty901; 01-11-2021 at 06:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Chasingdrakes (02-07-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 08:52 AM
2deuceguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by smitty901
Maybe I am missing something . Someone purchases a new crate engine. It does not run right. Why the heck are you even messing with it. Left them fix it. 9 months someone got screwed screwed. S&S does not sell you a create motor then ignore you when it does not run right.
They would have it figured out in flash . The rest of this story may help a lot.
The guy that owns the bike had friends install it. The place he bought it from drilled the case so that external oil lines wouldn't be needed. Drilling the cases voids the warranty. They also installed a grudge box at the same time. Could never get it to stay running so they gave up and took it to Harley. After 6 months or so at Harley one of the corporate tech guys asked if they'd checked the speed sensor. Turns out with the grudge box there's a spacer that needs to go under the sensor. This wasn't installed so the sensor got chewed up and was shorting everything out. Fried the ecm and caused all these issues. Harley made the repairs for all that and got it running. It was then trailered to me for a tune and here we are.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:40 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,911 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Wow that's quite a history, all the more reason to check that sensor it shouldn't be putting out those temperatures You got to remember it's a potentiometer so it's very likely it got fried as well..

Old 01-11-2021, 09:43 AM
2deuceguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Wow that's quite a history, all the more reason to check that sensor it shouldn't be putting out those temperatures You got to remember it's a potentiometer so it's very likely it got fried as well..
Good point will need to check that out.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:45 AM
2deuceguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
20-25 psi difference is usually a cam 1 tooth off.
Scott
Any way the ez starts could be causing the difference? I'd think they would still be equal with or without the ez starts though.

Quick Reply: Crate motor off?