Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Grinding noise from primary AFTER warm? Time for a comp upgrade or ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 09:19 PM
jac737
Road Captain
Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Grinding noise from primary AFTER warm? Time for a comp upgrade or ???

Hello all,

Ive been riding my 2006 night train EFI to work for the past few weeks (love the south Florida weather)... Today I noticed a grinding noise coming from the bike after riding for about 5 minutes and while I was sitting in neutral at a traffic light.

On the way home tonight, I noticed the same exact noise while sitting at a red light about 5-7 minutes into the ride.

The noise is noticeable with my full face helmet on while sitting still at idle. Noise is the same whether the clutch is pulled in or not.

After arriving home, I let the bike cool completely. Started it up, and no noise for about 3-4 minutes. Then, like clockwork, it started again.

I tried to narrow it down, and I believe it’s coming from the primary side / front of the engine. Bike has oil, full power, etc. I completed a total top end rebuild recently, and I have a newer exhaust on the bike that is all nice and tight. In the last 400 miles, I did a compete tear down of the inner primary, and I replaced all gaskets, the inner primary bearing (installed with press, fully seated and with both snap rings correctly installed on each side of the New IPB). I also replaced the shift shaft seal while I was in there.

Also in the last 500 miles, I replaced the inner cam bearings, outer cam bearings and cam tensioner shoes (Cyco replacement shoes only), so I am 99% positive it has nothing to do with the cam chest, etc.

What do you guys think? Compensator need upgraded / replaced? Is there something else to check before going into the comp replacement?

Old 02-02-2021, 08:11 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,346 Likes on 3,679 Posts

Originally Posted by jac737
Hello all,

Ive been riding my 2006 night train EFI to work for the past few weeks (love the south Florida weather)... Today I noticed a grinding noise coming from the bike after riding for about 5 minutes and while I was sitting in neutral at a traffic light.

On the way home tonight, I noticed the same exact noise while sitting at a red light about 5-7 minutes into the ride.

The noise is noticeable with my full face helmet on while sitting still at idle. Noise is the same whether the clutch is pulled in or not.

After arriving home, I let the bike cool completely. Started it up, and no noise for about 3-4 minutes. Then, like clockwork, it started again.

I tried to narrow it down, and I believe it’s coming from the primary side / front of the engine. Bike has oil, full power, etc. I completed a total top end rebuild recently, and I have a newer exhaust on the bike that is all nice and tight. In the last 400 miles, I did a compete tear down of the inner primary, and I replaced all gaskets, the inner primary bearing (installed with press, fully seated and with both snap rings correctly installed on each side of the New IPB). I also replaced the shift shaft seal while I was in there.

Also in the last 500 miles, I replaced the inner cam bearings, outer cam bearings and cam tensioner shoes (Cyco replacement shoes only), so I am 99% positive it has nothing to do with the cam chest, etc.

What do you guys think? Compensator need upgraded / replaced? Is there something else to check before going into the comp replacement?

The compensator is likely fine. Might be worth pulling the primary and making sure the comp nut is tight.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:08 AM
jac737
Road Captain
Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
The compensator is likely fine. Might be worth pulling the primary and making sure the comp nut is tight.
@Max Headflow - Thank you for the response. I ordered a new primary gasket set, and I will be ripping into it over the weekend. Id be surprised if the comp. nut it loose, as I torqued it per the FSM, etc. Glad to hear the comp is probably note the issue, but will probably post some pics this weekend if I can't figure it out when I tear off the outer primary cover.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:12 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,346 Likes on 3,679 Posts

If it's still tight, you may need to trim some off of the bottom of the nut.