Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

2005 Road Glide w/ Oil Seepage After Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 12:48 PM
jaynickolas
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Road Glide w/ Oil Seepage After Rebuild

Can someone tell me if I managed to pinch an Oring on reassembly. Just did 100” S&S kit and I have oil seepage on front cylinder at the case. Looks like there is an oring petruding out now too.

Old 03-24-2024, 12:48 PM
tdrglide
Road Captain
Received 285 Likes on 216 Posts

Yep, that's what it looks like.
Take it apart and reassemble. New gaskets and o-rings. Don't worry about piston rings, hone. Leave rings on piston. Just try not to rotate them too much on reassembly. They will seat back in.

The following users liked this post:
jaynickolas (03-31-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 03:37 PM
jaynickolas
Stage III

Thanks for the response. That’s what I was afraid of. I’m so dumb. I can’t believe I didn’t look for that when I put back together.

Old 03-31-2024, 04:00 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,979 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrglide
Yep, that's what it looks like.
Take it apart and reassemble. New gaskets and o-rings. Don't worry about piston rings, hone. Leave rings on piston. Just try not to rotate them too much on reassembly. They will seat back in.
You would hone it first? No experience myself putting pistons back in after running.

Sure looks like an oring, but weird how the base could be pinched like that. I don't think oil return oring could pull out that far.

Old 03-31-2024, 05:44 PM
tdrglide
Road Captain

I've put pistons back in without honning. Because of base gasket leakage. As long as it's lower mileage. No issues. Never seen an o-ring extruded out before like that but stuff can happen. Probably happened on initial assembly.

The following users liked this post:
djl (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 10:09 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,113 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Agree with tdrglide. If cylinders are honed, they must be "clean room" clean for re-install. Honing will remove material from cyliner wall and if any honing grit is left, frying pan to fire.

Old 04-14-2024, 03:30 AM
jaynickolas
Stage III

Well FML. So I took off the front cylinder and the reason the o’ring is sticking out the side of the case is it looks like there were 2 put on the dowel ring. They were melted together and that rubber had to go somewhere. I put the S&S kit together from new and I know I didn’t put 2 o’rings on it. I took the bike in to have some head work done with a tune. I’m assuming they put an extra o’ring on it. Now I have a channel out of the recess on both sides. Now what do I do?

Old 04-14-2024, 09:11 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,921 Likes on 3,596 Posts

Originally Posted by jaynickolas
Well FML. So I took off the front cylinder and the reason the o’ring is sticking out the side of the case is it looks like there were 2 put on the dowel ring. They were melted together and that rubber had to go somewhere. I put the S&S kit together from new and I know I didn’t put 2 o’rings on it. I took the bike in to have some head work done with a tune. I’m assuming they put an extra o’ring on it. Now I have a channel out of the recess on both sides. Now what do I do?

They wouldn't of had to pull the jug if they were just doing headwork

Old 04-14-2024, 09:33 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,979 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Side note, I wish I would leave my orings in. I took mine out out of fear I would forget to put new one in. You get quite the pile of crap from cometic, covering many years. I wish I would have kept the old one so could compare better. Maybe take old one in put in baggie and label it. Though what happens is you think you will remember, and you do. I just like to worry like an old lady.

Last edited by Rounders; 04-14-2024 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-14-2024, 10:28 AM
tdrglide
Road Captain

Are those S&S dowels that have o-ring grooves or are they stock harley? Try the S&S ones if those are stock harley. Double check length of S&S dowel make sure it's not too long.
in any case, I'd put it back together surgically clean in that area with a bit of oil resistant silicone at that blow out spot.

Quick Reply: 2005 Road Glide w/ Oil Seepage After Rebuild