EVO All Evo Model Discussion

My cheap GPS / Phone Mount

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 07:08 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,173 Likes on 6,217 Posts
Default My cheap GPS / Phone Mount

This is so easy I feel silly about posting it but here it is anyway. This has to win some kind of contest for the cheapest / easiest mod.

Materials: 3M Dual Lock (it's like plastic industrial strength Velcro)
Box Cutter / Exacto Knife / Razor Knife
Favorite cell phone and case (more on that later)

This pertains to Softails but you could do this to any bike, or anything else really.

I didn't see the 3M Dual Lock like we use at work at the store, but I bought this package which is the same thing. When I opened it up, the strips said 3M Dual Lock so it really is the exact same thing.

Arrange the strips on the tank bib / plastic portion of the dash on your tank for a trial fit. On mine, I went four wide and two high. Then simply peal the backing off and carefully attach them to the tank panel. Once you get the first one down, then it is just a matter of butting subsequent pieces down tightly when you apply them. The way my panel is made, there is a ridge on either side, so I used that for a guide and left about a one quarter inch gap on either side.

Next I applied four strips horizontally to the back of my phone case, pressing them very hard, especially on the edges. My phone case has a slight curvature to it which is no problem, but on the edges, it curves a lot to the front instead of being made square. I then took the razor knife and trimmed the sides off that did not go around the curve. If you don't do this, the edge will get hung up on stuff which will lead to the 3M dual lock pealing off.

The 3M Dual Lock is three times stronger than Velcro and is plastic, which means it is durable, washable, and will not collect hair and debris like Velcro does.

Next set your phone in position on the dash that you applied the strips to, then press down. Press kind of hard, because it interlocks in a more secure manner than Velcro.

If you download Garmin's GPS App or similar app for your phone, the maps will be stored locally. If you do this, then the GPS will work even if you do not have cell phone signal. It will also stop you from using up your data plan. I have all of North America downloaded to my phone in the Garmin app. It even let me select a motorcycle as a vehicle.

I am using an iPhone 6.

I am using a phone case that increases my battery capacity by 150%. My phone case is made by mophie.

http://www.mophie.com/

They make cases for many smart phones.

No, I am talking on the phone or texting or anything like that. This gives me GPS functionality which not only helps me in unknown areas, but will also tell me where the nearest gas station, hospital, etc. are. Sometimes the nearest gas station is behind you instead of in front of you.

I used three small packages of the 3M Dual Lock. I bought it at Office Depot. Not bad for a mod that is under $20 and still looks ok in my opinion.

One word of caution. Do not let your girlfriend sit naked on your tank after performing this mod.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:42 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

very practical. Maybe you could get some plain leather an glue some on so you can slap that on when your phone is not there. I have a phone holder I got from the dealership with a strong magnet on it an a clear window. I can put my phone in it an slap it on the tank but it was like 40 bucks.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:57 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,173 Likes on 6,217 Posts

Originally Posted by langwilliams
very practical. Maybe you could get some plain leather an glue some on so you can slap that on when your phone is not there. I have a phone holder I got from the dealership with a strong magnet on it an a clear window. I can put my phone in it an slap it on the tank but it was like 40 bucks.
I bought one of those a few years ago and didn't trust it to hold the phone. I was afraid the wind would blow it off. I have a company phone, so I don't want any grief from losing or damaging it.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:31 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I got it because the speedo cable broke on my 94 I used a speedometer app to keep track of my speed around town.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:12 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,812 Likes on 3,316 Posts

You got my vote Prot... Cheapest most practical mod of the Month.... good job man....

Old 09-06-2016, 06:26 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 892 Likes on 534 Posts

Great mod!! The only downside I see is having to look down to see the map, something up on the bars would be my choice...

Old 09-06-2016, 10:58 AM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

That is a good idea. Use Bluetooth or regular ear buds and you can listen to music and directions. Cool.