EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ignition switch positions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 05:26 PM
jimbo285
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition switch positions.

My 93 Heritage has one position to the left which I figure is for hazards and taillight only. I also have 2 positions to the right that work exactly the same. I would like to have the first position NOT turn on the headlight so the draw on the battery would be less when starting. Is that how they are supposed to be wired? Does anyone know what wire needs to be moved to what terminal? I know that's alot to ask, but I'm hoping someone else has corrected their bike.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Old-Evo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I wrote this answer a couple of years ago on another forum:

If you ever find yourself with a low voltage problem i.e...stator gone bad, regulator crapped out, or a weak battery and need to limp home without your lights on, here is a simple fix you can do and I did it in less than a 1/2 an hour. This re-wiring is only intended for the older style flat keyed switches with the brass posts not the new round keyed solid state switches.

1) Remove the cover and get to the switch.
2) Put some electrical tape around the switch.
(Sparks will fly without it, trust me.)
3) find the ignition wire (red w/black stripe) and the lights (Red w/grey stripe)
4) move the wires as directed in the pictures

Now when you turn the switch to the 1st position you now have ignition but no lights and you can ride on home, (the only down side to this is you will not have a neutral light in the 1st position) and when you turn it to the 2nd position you have both ignition and lights.

Attached Thumbnails Ignition switch positions.-screen-shot-2013-04-03-at-5.59.12-pm.jpg   Ignition switch positions.-screen-shot-2013-04-03-at-5.59.42-pm.jpg  
Old 04-03-2013, 06:18 PM
jimbo285
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old-Evo
Yes, I wrote this answer a couple of years ago on another forum:

If you ever find yourself with a low voltage problem i.e...stator gone bad, regulator crapped out, or a weak battery and need to limp home without your lights on, here is a simple fix you can do and I did it in less than a 1/2 an hour. This re-wiring is only intended for the older style flat keyed switches with the brass posts not the new round keyed solid state switches.

1) Remove the cover and get to the switch.
2) Put some electrical tape around the switch.
(Sparks will fly without it, trust me.)
3) find the ignition wire (red w/black stripe) and the lights (Red w/grey stripe)
4) move the wires as directed in the pictures

Now when you turn the switch to the 1st position you now have ignition but no lights and you can ride on home, (the only down side to this is you will not have a neutral light in the 1st position) and when you turn it to the 2nd position you have both ignition and lights.
I'll try that when I get home tonight, Thanks.