EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Help removing inner primary cover.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 12:37 PM
Bassin
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help removing inner primary cover.

Couple of different questions here. I need to fix a main sprocket seal, and need to take clutch and inner primary cover off. (Cannot get the stator cover off, with the inner primary cover on).

I've gotten all the primary chain, clutch and compensator nut off.

1. Manual says, that I need to loosen engine-to-frame fasteners and transmission to frame fasteneres. Where are these located?

2. Manual says, that I need to remove starter. Is this really necesseary?

3. What's a good trick to bend the locking-washers on the inner primary bolts?

---

Possible error I've made.

4. I found out, too late unfortunately, that I must not pull the clutch cable, when clutch is off. I think I may have done that. Read this on the forums. What have I ruined by doing so?

5. I tried to remove the starter gear in the primary cover (following the manual), but it seemed like complicated assembly, so I nicely put the starter gear back in place. Looks ok, but I noticed when taking it off, that the bolt was kinda loose. Is there an adjustment here, that I need to be aware of? Or should I just tighten it snug? It seems like the locking-washer is just turning with the bolt.

Bike is FXSTC 1989.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:02 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Bassin
Couple of different questions here. I need to fix a main sprocket seal, and need to take clutch and inner primary cover off. (Cannot get the stator cover off, with the inner primary cover on).

1. Manual says, that I need to loosen engine-to-frame fasteners and transmission to frame fasteners.

I didn't the last time I took mine off.

2. Manual says, that I need to remove starter. Is this really necessary?

Yes

I just used a screwdriver.

---

4. I found out, too late unfortunately, that I must not pull the clutch cable, when clutch is off. I think I may have done that. Read this on the forums. What have I ruined by doing so?

Nothing that I can think of.
You will have to readjust the clutch when you put it back together so don't worry about it.

5. I tried to remove the starter gear in the primary cover (following the manual), but it seemed like complicated assembly, so I nicely put the starter gear back in place. Looks ok, but I noticed when taking it off, that the bolt was kinda loose. Is there an adjustment here, that I need to be aware of? Or should I just tighten it snug? It seems like the locking-washer is just turning with the bolt.

Sounds like a tab is broken off on your lock washer.
Get a new thrust washer and lock washer.

Bike is FXSTC 1989.

See above for answers
It sounds like you are over thinking this.

It is hard to get these things wrong.
Yes I know it is intimidating the first time but after you do it you will be amazed how easy it really is.

Good luck

Old 08-15-2014, 04:49 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default main sprocket seal

1. Manual says, that I need to loosen engine-to-frame fasteners and transmission to frame fasteneres. Where are these located?

2. Manual says, that I need to remove starter. Is this really necesseary?

---

Bike is FXSTC 1989.
What is the year and model ?
Are you working with a Harley manual or other ?
It sounds like you are using a Haynes or Clymer manual .
The procedure you are describing requires a Harley factory manual for your year and model line ., they are approx. $100.00 to purchase but it is money well spent if you are going to tear things apart as you have described.
If you are using the above manual and having trouble with the procedures , come back with your year and model and we will help .

Old 08-15-2014, 06:26 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by machinehed
What is the year and model ?
Are you working with a Harley manual or other ?
It sounds like you are using a Haynes or Clymer manual .
The procedure you are describing requires a Harley factory manual for your year and model line ., they are approx. $100.00 to purchase but it is money well spent if you are going to tear things apart as you have described.
If you are using the above manual and having trouble with the procedures , come back with your year and model and we will help .

He put the year/model at the end of his post.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:51 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

do not loosen the motor or transmission yet. after you remove the starter and inner primary clean everything real good and remove old seals. test fit the inner primary if it sits flat against the motor and transmission and doesn't wobble or rock your alignment is good then there's no reason to loosen them.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:35 AM
Bassin
Intermediate

Yes, I have the Harley Factory Manual. It just cant find in the manual where those engine to frame fasteners and transmission to frame fasteners are.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:49 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Yes, I have the Harley Factory Manual. It just cant find in the manual where those engine to frame fasteners and transmission to frame fasteners are.

Don't worry about it as you probably won't have to mess with them.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:20 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by machinehed
The procedure you are describing requires a Harley factory manual for your year and model line ., .
Who told you that? I can confirm that you can do it with a Haynes, its what I used first time I ever did one.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:15 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

The inner primary cover does not need to be removed on a 1989 Softail model, the alternator rotor and stator will come out no problem.

In the factory service manual, there is a note at the beginning of the alternator disassembly section that says:

"On 1989 and later models, it is not necessary to remove the inner primary cover to remove the alternator".

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 08-17-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:49 PM
Bassin
Intermediate

We waddyaknow... Dan was right. Even though I've tried several times to remove the stator cover. After seeing what a hassle removing exhaust, oil tank and starter, just to get to the damn inner primary, I went (frustrated) to the left side, to give it another go.... it almost popped off! Must be something with the angle of pull or something.

Thanx.

Now on to changing the sprocket seal, and looking for that "dreaded steel-insert leak". Hope I´m not one of the unlucky ones.

Is it true, that this insert-leak can be fixed with some Loctite? Are the lots of people who have done this?