EVO All Evo Model Discussion

relocating the horn - 90 Eglide

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:26 PM
mjunk1
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default relocating the horn - 90 Eglide

Anyone relocate the horn into the fairing?&nbsp\\; Mine is on the primary side of the engine on a bracket that connects the bottom of the V to the motor mount above it.&nbsp\\; It also has some type of vaccum operated ignition component on the barcket.&nbsp\\; Both look like crap where they sit.&nbsp\\; I'd love to get them out of there and clean up the look of the engine.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
So, it looks like I can fit it inside the fairing and then just run the wire straight to it (I don't generally hit it anyway - can't remember the last time I used a horn in a car or on a bike).&nbsp\\; Any experience would be appreciated.
&nbsp\\;
Second, can I remove that flat bracket or is it really part of what is holding the motor in place?&nbsp\\; If so, does anyone know if they make a better looking piece?
&nbsp\\;
1990 Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Old 06-28-2008, 03:37 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: relocating the horn - 90 Eglide

I had that bracket off a couple times when working on the VOES (Vacuum Operated Electric Switch) and although they do sell little after market brackets to mount the VOES, I never saw anything to replace the stock bracket that holds the horn and VOES and I don't think it does more than hold the horn and VOES.

Personally, I would never move or change the horn on our '90 FLHTCU , it's one of those items that screams "Harley" when you see it. Many times I have walked into a bunch of V-twins that looked and sounded so similar I could not tell the difference between the newer metrics and newer Harleys but the cow bell horn always told me which ones are the Harleys. I know it's old fashioned, shakes a lot when it's running and looks kind of cheap and maybe a little ugly, but it is one of the things that makes it a Harley, not just a v-twin.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:50 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I never liked hiding my motors behind anything.My horn is behind the left side cover,easy wiring job had to drill one hole.The top motor mount can be picked up a lot of different places.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:46 PM
mjunk1
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: dog155

I never liked hiding my motors behind anything.My horn is behind the left side cover,easy wiring job had to drill one hole.The top motor mount can be picked up a lot of different places.
But I don't think I need the mount.&nbsp\\; It would still remain, I would just be getting rid of that bracket piece that holds the VOES and the horn.&nbsp\\; I'll look closer at it.&nbsp\\; The horn is basically useless except to pass inspection.&nbsp\\; It is the wimpiest sounding thing I have ever heard and I know I'm never thinking of using it when someone jumps into&nbsp\\;my lane anyway.&nbsp\\; I think I can hide it up in the fariring and mount it into the fairing mounts with no problem once I take off the chrome cover.&nbsp\\; I'll see about it on the next rainy day.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-30-2008, 05:52 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

My feelings exactly about the horn.I hit the button every once in a while just to see if it still works.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:17 AM
twowheelsforever
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the horn cover really the only way&nbsp\\;you're able&nbsp\\;tell the difference between a Harley and other bikes?&nbsp\\; How do you identify Sportsters?&nbsp\\; I'm not trying to pick on you, but there are a lot more attributes on Harleys that distinguish them from other manufacturers.
&nbsp\\;
I've actually seen metric owners that install a HD horn cover on the left side between the cylinders too...