Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor Design - Horn Mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 08:11 AM
Meathook
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Design - Horn Mount

Just back from flying a 1,800+ mile turn 'n burn of the Blue Ridge Parkway. As I stopped at a stop sign about 2 miles from my crib (just exited the E-Way), it sounded like my top end was coming apart! Glancing at the left side of the mill, I see my horn vibrating against the cylinder heads!

Landing at home port, I docked it in its berth and let it cool down while off-loading stuff/starting laundry. Figured I'd examine it after the mill got down to a reasonable temp. I'd just flown a 533 mile hop in 8 hours, so the mill was a mite warm!

In summary, there is a circular bracket that holds the horn in place. Harley's design has a circular rubber piece mounted inside the bracket with a large headed bolt, the size of the bracket (apparently) glued to each side of the rubber mount. My rubber piece separated in the middle, allowing the horn to fall off. Half the rubber remained in the bracket, half fell off. All bolts intact. The replacement part is $6.00 from a stealer.

I inquired of the parts manager is this was a common failure. He told me they had experienced a few. This was a stealer near my duty station the next day, not the one I regularly use when I need parts. Its a newer stealership, so I'm not sure about the data I got from them.

I'm thinking the new part will undergo serious modification before installation! First, the rubber will be drilled out to accommodate a full length bolt, then metal washers milled to size to fit over the rubber, but within the bracket. That should preclude another event. I'll make a mock up with the old part/test before going final.

Given the amount of cavitation the horn gets, I'm very disappointed in The Motor Company's design. Near as I can tell, there is no way to anticipate this failure.

Meathook: out

Old 06-15-2014, 08:24 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Stuff happens. Replace the rubber piece and move on.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:26 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Don't know how old your bike is,but those horn rubbers have been used for years and years,they will break,like anything else. The old design had a softer rubber,and a rubber bumper near the bottom front and rear.Those lower bumpers actually 'bumped' against the cylinders.
What you are planning to do will work. I've mounted a horn solid one time-[no rubber] and that didn't last long at all.The metal bracket broke!

Old 06-15-2014, 08:33 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

First it was the new "Rushmore" generation failures and now a $6 horn mount...has anyone ever ridden a 70's to 90's era HD...**** would fall off on most rides and you'd McGruber a fix and press-on. Come back when you have a real issue...

Old 06-15-2014, 08:47 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,073 Posts

These babies shake so something's bound to break.

Originally Posted by Meathook
I'd just flown a 533 mile hop in 8 hours...
Not sure if that was part of the 1800+ miles on the BRP, but they don't have speed limits that high.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:58 AM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 259 Likes on 168 Posts

Oh my god, your horn bracket broke? I'd trade it for something else, like a Polaris Indian.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:20 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Meathook
Given the amount of cavitation the horn gets, I'm very disappointed in The Motor Company's design. Near as I can tell, there is no way to anticipate this failure.

Meathook: out
The horn doesn't get cavitation.

"Cavitation is the formation of vapour cavities in a liquid – i.e. small liquid-free zones ("bubbles" or "voids") – that are the consequence of forces acting upon the liquid. It usually occurs when a liquid is subjected to rapid changes of pressure that cause the formation of cavities where the pressure is relatively low. When subjected to higher pressure, the voids implode and can generate an intense shockwave." - Wikipedia

It gets vibration and that's why it is rubber mounted. If your fix is a rigid mount don't expect it to last anywhere near the stock mount.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:29 AM
desertrat702
Cruiser

Jesus op are you sure you couldn't fit another couple paragraphs in there to tell us about your broken horn.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:34 AM
downforce137
6th Gear
Old 06-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

I like cheese.

Quick Reply: Poor Design - Horn Mount