EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Installing a stator

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 06:09 AM
bobofish
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a stator

I have a 98 FLHR, I'm installing a new stator and was conserned about the connections after reading somewhere about the poor connections they use from the factory may be the reason for the failure of the harley stators. what if I soldered the connections instead of the plug in connections on the stator? Or am I just wasting time on something that is just going to blow in time anyway. I don't run a bunch of lights, all stock except the trailer I pull around that I installed LED's on. Thanks Bob

Old 04-02-2010, 06:32 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 288 Likes on 154 Posts

The stock connector should work just fine. If you have a problem with it coming loose, there is a clip you can install to hold the connectors together.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:06 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

soldering is a quick fix It works but the plug is the way to go

Old 04-02-2010, 07:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

I am on my second replacement stator in 20 years ownership of my FLHS, but the connector is not the reason for changing. I would use it as is and save yourself extra effort.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:28 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Use the plug, with some dielectric compound on the pins. The 32 amp stators have healthy pins and sockets whereas the 22 amp versions had the tiny pins that don't have any spring to them. They are the ones that tend have contact problems.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:18 AM
bobofish
4th Gear

Thanks guys! I will clean up the connections a bit and apply some dielectric compound to them. I tend to over do things at times!

Old 04-02-2010, 08:23 AM
bobofish
4th Gear

I edited and added a pic in my sig to show you all my ride but it doesn't show up????
I'll tinker a bit more.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:37 PM
FLS2FLH
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grbrown
I am on my second replacement stator in 20 years ownership of my FLHS, but the connector is not the reason for changing. I would use it as is and save yourself extra effort.
I had an Evo Softail for almost 20 years - and just like you - two replacement stators in that period of time. I really think that being tuned in to when the are crapping out - around the 8 year mark - is a good idea. Mine used to cause my directionals to do funky things like - not work, then work... someone told me the control unit was very sensative to the normal operating voltage range and, when the stator would not put out enough A/C for the regulator to make 13.8V, funky things would start to happen.

Both times, I did not heed the warning - and the second time I was 4 hours from home! An ounce of prevention...

Old 04-02-2010, 05:52 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 203 Posts

Check the rotor as well.....if something is not right, definatley replace it unless it is fairly new. Check out the voltage regulator too and including the battery.

Over years, I have seen several people replace the stator and rotor because they had an electrical problem. Only to find out that their voltage regulator was bad and the other stuff was fine.

Another thing, I don't know for sure if your '98 is EFI or not. Anyways, the stator is the same for both machines...however the rotor is different. FYI

Old 04-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,767 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOrider
Over years, I have seen several people replace the stator and rotor because they had an electrical problem. Only to find out that their voltage regulator was bad and the other stuff was fine.
That's because they didn't follow Dr.Hess' How To Diagnose Your Charging System.

Quick Reply: Installing a stator