EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Do I Qualify?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 11:15 AM
mjaw
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

TurkeyRun, What size apes are on your Road King? I'm looking at getting one myself, and put maybe 13 or 14" apes on it.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:31 AM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mjaw
TurkeyRun, What size apes are on your Road King? I'm looking at getting one myself, and put maybe 13 or 14" apes on it.
Those are 15" of unknown mfg. (It came to me like that)

Old 11-09-2010, 12:52 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 853 Posts

Rights of passage, welcome

Old 11-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Welcome to Evoville, where KISS is a way of life.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:56 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TurkeyRun
Guy says he is open to "interesting trades" for up to 1/2 of his asking price which was $9K. I swapped him the Bronco and spare parts plus $4K for the FLHR. It's not exactly what I was looking for, but heck - I think I got the better end of the stick on the deal. The bike has 33K on it and the motor was reman'd by HD in 2003, milage at that time unknown. I verified that through HD Customer Service.
I want to do a couple things to the FLHR. First, get rid of that Kury air cleaner. I know some folks like them, but I think it hides too much of the engine. Gonna get some kind of round one in there. Also, those straight through Sampson's are WAY too loud. I'm not a fishtail guy, but they look good on this bike so I'm thinking of putting some baffles in there.

So, that's the story of how I ended up over here in EvoLand
Welcome to the Evo Club!
We're not picky... any bike with an Evo engine... or that HAD an Evo engine from the factory... qualifies here! And your bike more than qualifies... even if you did STEAL it from that guy, who obviously didn't know what he had. Your bike is beautiful! I love the stretched bags and apes. I usually don't like apes on baggers - but on your RK they look awesome! Cool paint job, too. Well done!

I used to run a Kury A/C... a Hypercharger Pro, not the V on your bike. But I didn't like the breather setup on it... even though it had killer looks and butterfly valves that opened with the manifold vacuum. The breather hoses always got messy after awhile. I now run an Arlen Ness Big Derby Sucker that has a really nice hidden breather system on it, and no more mess. The difference is noticeable... I can hear the Big Sucker sucking air very clearly and rather loudly... which I personally really like... even over the roar of the unbaffled fishtails on Bertha! The H-D SE A/C is less expensive though, and is perfectly adequate for any reasonable Evo.

Don't feel too bad if you end up riding your Evo RK more than your Ultra. I really like having a windshield rather than a fairing. I think it looks better, and I can see more of the road. Makes the bike feel much less massive as well.

One really significant handling upgrade you might want to consider is replacing your P.O.S. rear swingarm "Clevebloc" bushings and installing a rear-end stabilizer. On the advice of several here, I installed the True-Track Trackula kit on Bertha (rear stabilizer, solid bronze swingarm bushings, and new rear isolators and front engine mount), and it vastly improved her handling. But Graham (grbrown) has gone even further and replaced his swingarm with a newer one from a 2007 bike that is stiffer and allows him to use the 2000-up wheel with the 1" axle and a newer rear brake caliper. New front ones, too... but I'll let him brag about all of his many "stopping pots"!

Again, welcome to the Club! There are a LOT of smart guys on this forum who can answer just about any question you can come up with regarding Evo Harleys... just don't mention the twinkie too often!

Old 11-12-2010, 10:34 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

welcome i went from a twinkie to an evo myself!! i liked the twinkie but i love the evo!!

Old 11-13-2010, 06:04 AM
Ramona
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurkeyRun
The FLHR is a BLAST to ride. After a couple hundred miles on it, I got on my Ultra and it felt like a tank on rails......

We have a secret handshake, and secret code words here in the Evo section.........welcome!

Old 11-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your gonna like the way ya look. I guarantee it!

Old 11-13-2010, 12:48 PM
astark
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice bike, but I could never sell or trade my classic Bronco.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:33 AM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by astark
Nice bike, but I could never sell or trade my classic Bronco.
Yea, that's what I thought for years too. But, I hadn't had the thing out in the wild since the Bronco 40th parties a few years back. I guess if I still loved it, I would have made the time.

Anyway, it's all water under the bridge now.

Quick Reply: Do I Qualify?