EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Top end leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 08:44 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Top end leak

I pulled the rear wheel off my wife's 89 heritage to get the flat fixed and change the rear pads while I was at it. I noticed a bit of grimy oil just above the rear pipe. Question is is it recommended I just change the centre square rubber and two rocker cover rubber gaskets or go right down to the metal gasket that sits ontop of the head? I realize if I go to the metal gasket I might as well so the pushrod tube corks down to the lifter blocks.
Is it likely the metal gasket can be leaking or more likely the top two rubber gaskets? Metal ones I can't get in town where as the rubber ones I already have on the wall.
Thanks

Old 05-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 504 Likes on 290 Posts

Rocker gaskets, especially the lower (metal) one can leak bad. I would do the lot and the pushrod seals too.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Spanners, I was also wandering seeing as this bike has the none adjustable pushrods can I simple pull all the pushrods( labeling them for reinserting back into same lifter same direction) without turning the motor rebolt down the lowest rocker box and reinstall the pushrods or do I have to bring each lifter down to its lowest position first?

Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
Thanks Spanners, I was also wandering seeing as this bike has the none adjustable pushrods can I simple pull all the pushrods( labeling them for reinserting back into same lifter same direction) without turning the motor rebolt down the lowest rocker box and reinstall the pushrods or do I have to bring each lifter down to its lowest position first?

You gotta take them out and put them back in at TDC compression for each cylinder.

Pushrods are colour coded.

If you take each lifter apart and pour the oil out you can replace them without the bleed down period when you tighten the rocker gear but they will rattle like new ones for the first few seconds/minutes.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:57 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Spanners, lifters won't be coming out. Curious though how do you tell when your on compression stroke when pushrods are out and both heads have the valves closed? I take it it is lifter position? Sorry I'm a bit rusty.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Yup, look at the lifters but its easier to put the puhrods in (rocker gear is still off at this point) and watch the pushrods as you come over TDC, if they move its the wrong TDC.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:48 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Yup, look at the lifters but its easier to put the puhrods in (rocker gear is still off at this point) and watch the pushrods as you come over TDC, if they move its the wrong TDC.
Was having a brain fart, think I remember now , rear cylinder intake lifter just starting to come up means front is on tdc compression and drop the pushrods in then bolt down front rocker covers , rotate motor until front intake just starting to come up and drop in pushrods for rear cylinder and bolt down rockers. I would imagine I have to let each after bolting down bleed down first before doing opposite.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

You tighten the rocker gear down in stages...usually 4-5 and wait until the pushrods will rotate by firm hand before going down the next stage.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:18 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Gotcha , thanks Spanners for the tip.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:03 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Hi quick question on lower rocker gasket. I got a Harley motor gasket kit that has the metal one piece lower gasket ( the one that sits on top the head) does the metal gasket lay with the part numbers facing up so the high side of the metal gasket joining surface is up? One more thought, is any silicone or rtv needed with these metal gaskets?

Was also wandering, I put the rear cylinder so intake pushrod is just past the point of starting to open the rear intake valve and took the front apart and figured seeing as the front is set to reinstall pushrods and rockers I'd just clean the surfaces and reinstall. I went about torquing the 1/2 inch head bolts 5 lbs crisscross and checked the pushrods for free spin and the intake free spun ok after 5 minutes or so but the exhaust doesn't seem to want to free up ( then again I didn't give it all that long for bleed down) is this normal?
tanks

Last edited by RidemyEVO; 05-03-2013 at 10:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Top end leak