EVO All Evo Model Discussion

evo gear shift linkage

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 05:21 AM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by brooksy100
The part is just before the gearbox selector and bolts to the gearbox. My problem is that the bolt wont come out because it to long and comes up against the inner primary. Shadowchrome I have pushed up and down and every witch way and the bolt head is still against the casing. the bolt is loose as just cant go side ways.
Okay, now I'm on the right track. I went out and looked at mine and I see what you mean. I haven't had to pull that out so unfortunately, I'm no help but I am interested to see what the fix is in case I run in to the same problem with my 85.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:46 AM
Dun Roamin
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to all will let you know how it all turns out. How can I put a picture here?
It's worth posting pictures as references to others who walk this way after you ...

Below the input pane, you'll see a bar called 'Manage Attachments', click on that > opens a new tab > Choose attachment > upload > then once it is uploaded, you come back to the editing page > then you have an option to place it in line (best) or add it as an thumbnail.

The other way is to use a little yellow button above that looks like a mountain with a black sun and use it to link to another file hosted somewhere else on the internet.

BTW ... I missed something. Do you have a 4 speed? Is it part number 3 second picture ...

Last edited by Dun Roamin; 07-03-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:31 AM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dun Roamin
BTW ... I missed something. Do you have a 4 speed? Is it part number 3 second picture ...
That's the bolt he is referring to on the rotary top 4 speed. The bolt doesn't have much clearance between the trans and inner primary.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,794 Likes on 1,381 Posts

Would a shorter bolt work in that place or does it have to be that long? If a shorter bolt will work, then cut the head off of what's in there now, take the rest of the bolt out, replace with a shorter bolt. Otherwise, I think you'll have to pull the primary.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:48 AM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Would a shorter bolt work in that place or does it have to be that long? If a shorter bolt will work, then cut the head off of what's in there now, take the rest of the bolt out, replace with a shorter bolt. Otherwise, I think you'll have to pull the primary.
I agree. I don't see any other way to go about it.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:07 PM
brooksy100
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks boys now you are on to in. The bolt is No 3 and the lever is No 25 in the second set of pics. I thought about a shorter bolt but it would never tighten. Your right Tailbreaker you have to see the thing to believe it, just a shorter bolt in there when they built the bike would have been great. Dun Roamin thanks for the pics and the advice.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior

Thanks boys now you are on to in. The bolt is No 3 and the lever is No 25 in the second set of pics. I thought about a shorter bolt but it would never tighten. Your right Tailbreaker you have to see the thing to believe it, just a shorter bolt in there when they built the bike would have been great. Dun Roamin thanks for the pics and the advice.
The last time. Had a rotary trans was on my 77 Shovelhead but I ran an open belt drive and hand shift/suicide clutch so I never realized how hard this thing was to get to until you brought this up and I looked at my 85 Wide Glide

Last edited by Tailbreaker; 07-05-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:38 AM
brooksy100
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, What I did was cut the bolt off with a hacksaw blade. An engineer mate of mine said the strength of a bolt is one and a halt times the diameter of the thread. I bought a new lever with a new bush and a shorter bolt. Bit fiddly but we got it in there with some lock tight. Works well, hope it lasts for years.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:04 PM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior

Hi, What I did was cut the bolt off with a hacksaw blade. An engineer mate of mine said the strength of a bolt is one and a halt times the diameter of the thread. I bought a new lever with a new bush and a shorter bolt. Bit fiddly but we got it in there with some lock tight. Works well, hope it lasts for years.
Glad to hear it worked for you.