Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Vance & Hines Big Radius/Short Shots Cracked Bracket Update for all Dynas

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 01:32 PM
Bam Bam!
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Vance & Hines Big Radius/Short Shots Cracked Bracket Update for all Dynas

So, after my 2nd V&H Big Radius exhaust bracket cracked (1st @ 5000 miles and 2nd @ 15,000), I took a little time to research and was able to get in touch with the Vice President of Engineering at Vance & Hines yesterday via email. After providing him details, photos and some recommendations, he was able to have his engineering staff duplicate the failure within hours on the shaker table and his engineering team immediately designed and built a new gusseted bracket design for Big Radius and Short Shots for all Dynas that use the Z-shaped bracket. The new brackets will be available for warranty replacements within a couple of weeks (and I get the 1st one).

Must give the highest kudos to Vance & Hines for how quickly they responded, designed, tested and sourced a part to resolve this issue. Literally one day!!! If you know anyone that has a Dyna with this bracket problem, they can reach out to V&H tech support once the new brackets are in and they will replace them at no cost.

Sometimes when there is a problem, it simply takes a little effort to find the right person to listen.

Feel free to spread this info to anyone who needs it.

Stay safe out there

The following 3 users liked this post by Bam Bam!:
Aussiemadness (06-10-2017), dieter621 (03-16-2018), St.evel (09-23-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 10:02 PM
Aussiemadness
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

Well done, I am sure a lot of V&H owners will appreciate your effort in looking into this.
Also it is good of V&H to listen to you and take on board your idea's.

I only just welded up my V&H 2-2 bracket last night, a mate of mine has fixed his twice.

Again...well done.

Dave.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:24 PM
GrovenSportster
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just emailed them about the lower/rear exhaust bracket for my Pro pipe on my '12 Fat Bob. I'm hoping they have a cure. It has failed twice now. The first time I simply welded it up. Now it's cracked where I welded it last time and totally broken in half on one of the ears that goes up to a bolt hole on the side of the case. Just a poor design I'm thinking. The bracket is 1/4" mild steel and has all kinds of sharp edges all around on it for cracks to develop. I sure hope they can help me 'cuz my Wife's '16 Wide Glide has the same exhaust on it and I suspect it will fail soon as well.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:47 PM
St.evel
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get your hopes up, I just e-mailed V&H and got a reply that I need to show proof of purchase for the bracket I replaced less than a year ago. Does not sound like they will warranty the part. this is the 2nd bracket in 8k miles

The following users liked this post:
GrovenSportster (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 06:44 PM
GrovenSportster
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well then, looks like V&H might be off the list from now on. Too bad too. I guess going with anything after market is a risk anyway.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:02 PM
SJK01
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When I put my bike up for the winter, I crawled underneath to look at the motor mounts and I noticed the "Z" shaped bracket on my '07 WG had a crack about 3/4 of the way up one of the bends.

I called V&H in early December to place an order (the pipes were installed by the OO in 2012). I was told they didn't have any in stock, that they outsourced the bracket and it would be a few weeks.

Fast Forward to this week...parts still haven't been made. Very frustrating...

SJK

Old 07-06-2020, 03:21 PM
Grant Meany
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust bracket

Originally Posted by Bam Bam!
So, after my 2nd V&H Big Radius exhaust bracket cracked (1st @ 5000 miles and 2nd @ 15,000), I took a little time to research and was able to get in touch with the Vice President of Engineering at Vance & Hines yesterday via email. After providing him details, photos and some recommendations, he was able to have his engineering staff duplicate the failure within hours on the shaker table and his engineering team immediately designed and built a new gusseted bracket design for Big Radius and Short Shots for all Dynas that use the Z-shaped bracket. The new brackets will be available for warranty replacements within a couple of weeks (and I get the 1st one).

Must give the highest kudos to Vance & Hines for how quickly they responded, designed, tested and sourced a part to resolve this issue. Literally one day!!! If you know anyone that has a Dyna with this bracket problem, they can reach out to V&H tech support once the new brackets are in and they will replace them at no cost.

Sometimes when there is a problem, it simply takes a little effort to find the right person to listen.

Feel free to spread this info to anyone who needs it.

Stay safe out there
How does this work? I've now broken a second bracket.

Old 07-12-2020, 11:41 AM
5card
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that is impressive work , way to go!