Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Rinehart Slimline header and muffs

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 12:38 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

Was with about 50k bikes over the weekend, saw some amazing bikes and a few new M8's here and there. One thing, every M8 was quiet... like a bunch of Hondas mixed in with Harleys. I friggin hate it, Up until now I've ridden with ear protection for 40 years however it's not needed with the new bikes.

You'll notice when you hear a youtube video made with a quality gopro camera, you can hear the footsteps of the person making the video, bike sounds awesome from the back, but in reality it's still quiet.
I split lanes using my exhaust as my horn and it's supposed to put people on notice that I'm coming through. The M8 doesn't provide that window rattling noise I'm searching for.

My only complaint with the M8 is the sound, everything else is terrific.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:46 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

Just got off the phone with Rinehart, biggest complaint they are fielding on the phone is how quiet the M8's are over say a 2016 bike.

Installing the same exhaust on a 16 vs a 17 is night and day difference. The reason being is the 8 valve heads, they are designed to be quiet and the flow is so good that they remain quiet despite aftermarket exhaust.
Harley is trying their hardest to abide by the EPA regulations and attempting to push everything SE instead of aftermarket.

He said I can pull the baffles from the pipes which will offer a louder exhaust but not night and day, just a significant difference. Ordering a 117 kit from FM today hoping the bigger cam will give me what I'm looking for.

He did say that some guys have resorting to using a cam (couldn't tell me which one" that made the bike wake up exhaust wise.

To hell with HD and their EPA junk.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:05 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,166 Likes on 3,522 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
Just got off the phone with Rinehart, biggest complaint they are fielding on the phone is how quiet the M8's are over say a 2016 bike.

Installing the same exhaust on a 16 vs a 17 is night and day difference. The reason being is the 8 valve heads, they are designed to be quiet and the flow is so good that they remain quiet despite aftermarket exhaust.
Harley is trying their hardest to abide by the EPA regulations and attempting to push everything SE instead of aftermarket.

He said I can pull the baffles from the pipes which will offer a louder exhaust but not night and day, just a significant difference. Ordering a 117 kit from FM today hoping the bigger cam will give me what I'm looking for.

He did say that some guys have resorting to using a cam (couldn't tell me which one" that made the bike wake up exhaust wise.

To hell with HD and their EPA junk.
A cam will be my next addition. I will likely go with the Woods WM8-777 in preparation for the 117" big bore upgrade that will be a future project. I know you like the Rinehart muffs, but you may want to take a look at the TAB Performance B.A.M. Sticks with the Zombie baffles. Guys that want it loud are getting good results with those. I live in an apartment complex, so I only want it loud when I'm cranking on it so I don't **** off my neighbors. I'm happy with what I have for now.

The following users liked this post:
tabperformance (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 04:46 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

Baffles gone, 3 screws and they almost fall out. Twice as loud as before. Much better

Old 10-02-2017, 04:57 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member

Baffles gone, 3 screws and they almost fall out. Twice as loud as before. Much better
Nice!

Oldskewl (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 08:14 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Old 10-03-2017, 08:33 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member

Sounds nice! Look at you, bustin' out the camera and everything!

Oldskewl (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 08:49 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by strych9
Sounds nice! Look at you, bustin' out the camera and everything!
First time I ever uploaded anything to social media. I did it so you could hear it. Someone may chime in here and say "you lost all back pressure to your bike" WRONG. I spoke with Rinehart and the specifically said that the header is stepped that's where the power comes from, won't hurt a thing. I won't see any power increase and could potentially lose "maybe 1 hp" but highly unlikely I would lose anything. Said I might want to remap the bike because it could make it lean but I've noticed I'm running rich right now so I'll take a look in a few days and see how the plugs look.

The baffle is screwed to the end cap, take off the end cap and the baffles come right out, just unscrew them from the cap and you're done.

I could even take that baffle and put it in my cold saw cut it in half or down by 2/3rds. I own a steel fabrication company so welding, cutting or custom fabricating parts isn't an issue. The downside is I have the engineering smarts of a squirrel.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-03-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:31 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member

First time I ever uploaded anything to social media. I did it so you could hear it. Someone may chime in here and say "you lost all back pressure to your bike" WRONG. I spoke with Rinehart and the specifically said that the header is stepped that's where the power comes from, won't hurt a thing. I won't see any power increase and could potentially lose "maybe 1 hp" but highly unlikely I would lose anything. Said I might want to remap the bike because it could make it lean but I've noticed I'm running rich right now so I'll take a look in a few days and see how the plugs look.

The baffle is screwed to the end cap, take off the end cap and the baffles come right out, just unscrew them from the cap and you're done.
The TABs are similar. End cap comes off with three screws and the baffle pulls out. I might try it for kicks sometime. The Zombie baffles they offer are basically straight 2.5" baffles with no packing. The do wrap them with fiberglass to take out the tinny highs but that's it. I might get a set and try those, too. They're only $85.

Sounds like it's got a pair with it open, for sure.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:45 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by strych9
The TABs are similar. End cap comes off with three screws and the baffle pulls out. I might try it for kicks sometime. The Zombie baffles they offer are basically straight 2.5" baffles with no packing. The do wrap them with fiberglass to take out the tinny highs but that's it. I might get a set and try those, too. They're only $85.

Sounds like it's got a pair with it open, for sure.
Yea, mine had no packing, just the baffle.