Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Harley Adjustable Pushrod Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 01:51 PM
haywood
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Adjustable Pushrod Install

1999 Wide Glide

I am trying to decide which cams to install (Gear driven or Chain driven) but I want to go ahead and install the SE adjustable pushrods now with the stock cams and install the cams and bearings in about three weeks. I know I will need to remove the oil from the engine before changing the cams in order to avoid making a mess. But do I need to remove the oil from the engine if I only want to change the pushrods?

Thanks,
Haywood

Old 12-01-2005, 02:10 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Harley Adjustable Pushrod Install

ORIGINAL: haywood

1999 Wide Glide

I am trying to decide which cams to install (Gear driven or Chain driven) but I want to go ahead and install the SE adjustable pushrods now with the stock cams and install the cams and bearings in about three weeks. I know I will need to remove the oil from the engine before changing the cams in order to avoid making a mess. But do I need to remove the oil from the engine if I only want to change the pushrods?

Thanks,
Haywood

No, you dont need to drain the oil from the engine to just change out the pushrods.

Be smart and go with gear driven cams, when you make your choice. There is absolutely NO GOOD REASON to continue with chain driven gears.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:37 AM
R Horn
Cruiser

wallyscycleworld has Andrews and S&S gear drive cams on sale with Gears and Installation kit for $534 free shipping. There chain drives were cheap to but I just picked up a set of gear drive. I think there add says $529 but they bumped it $5 due to now included a heavy duty retainer plate.

Rich

Old 12-02-2005, 01:56 AM
MegaHDman
Banned

Be careful when dealing with Wally's. They have a very poor reputation. Hope you never need to return anything to them. Just a heads up.

Try these guys in the future: www.partsthatfitHD.com and ask for Brad. They garentee to beat anyone's price and give you a great customer service. Its a small mom and pop operation that deserves a try.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:17 AM
R Horn
Cruiser

Wallys was good for me on the limited transaction. but I will give www.partsthatfitHD.com a try.

Rich

Old 12-02-2005, 08:23 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You absolutely MUST go to gear drive! If you don't, eventually your engine will destroy itself!!! Chain driven cams are the weak link in the Harely motor! (only the Twin Cam has Chain's, ...chains $uck, to put it bluntly...[&o]) Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is a MUST DO !!!!!!

Alot of folks like the Andrews T-37 Gear driven cams. I PERSONALLY swear by the S&S 510G cams. S&S parts are simply the best!!!!

The 510G's are the largest that I know of that will work with the rest of your stock valvetrain. You go bigger, break out the credit card![&o]
Go with the 510G's and a Power Commander III and DYNO tune. As long as you're not allergic to revving the motor al ittle, you'll be fine! Unless you have a bagger, as they're heavier, and need a less radical cam!![&:]

joe

Old 07-03-2013, 11:15 PM
letsgofast
1st Gear

Originally Posted by traveler
You absolutely MUST go to gear drive! If you don't, eventually your engine will destroy itself!!! Chain driven cams are the weak link in the Harely motor! (only the Twin Cam has Chain's, ...chains $uck, to put it bluntly...[&o]) Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is a MUST DO !!!!!!

Alot of folks like the Andrews T-37 Gear driven cams. I PERSONALLY swear by the S&S 510G cams. S&S parts are simply the best!!!!

The 510G's are the largest that I know of that will work with the rest of your stock valvetrain. You go bigger, break out the credit card![&o]
Go with the 510G's and a Power Commander III and DYNO tune. As long as you're not allergic to revving the motor al ittle, you'll be fine! Unless you have a bagger, as they're heavier, and need a less radical cam!![&:]

joe

Old 07-04-2013, 12:44 AM
jackinthebox
Road Master

Post is from 2005