Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

New Cams installed, NO POWER?? Wont rev high.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:13 PM
jcboof
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Cams installed, NO POWER?? Wont rev high.

Hey guys, I've just finished installing my new Andrews tw26a Chain Drive cams in my 02 RKC today,&nbsp\\; Got everything buttoned up
and the bike fired right up.&nbsp\\; Idled nicely with a little lope.&nbsp\\; Throttle response seemed OK.&nbsp\\; I let her warm up and took her out for
a quick putt.&nbsp\\; The moment I got on the throttle I realized something was not right.&nbsp\\; The bike had very little power,&nbsp\\; and the engine seemed
to struggle to rev up.&nbsp\\; Almost like something was holding it back.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I was thinking that maybe the pushrods were not adjusted correctly or
maybe the cam timing was off.&nbsp\\; I readjusted the pushrods and still no dice.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I pulled everything back apart and pulled the cam cover back off
and I rolled the engine over and the timing marks on the outer chain and gear set all lined up.&nbsp\\; The marks on the cams themselves look close too.&nbsp\\;
After looking at the cams more closely, I noticed that they might be one tooth out of time.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; At one angle they look good but at another it looks
like it might be off.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;
I still have one pushrod to remove before I cam pull the cam plate off and then I'll have to press the bearings out again to check the marks on the
cams themselves.
&nbsp\\;
Am I on the right track or does it sound like it could be something else?

Old 06-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Boomshaw
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Cams installed, NO POWER?? Wont rev high.

Get it to a tuner and have it tuned.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:27 PM
jcboof
Tourer

Dont really think it has anything to do with tuning,&nbsp\\; I mean this is a NIGHT AND DAY difference.
There should be no need to have the bike tuned immediately just so it will run normally.
I hit the throttle and&nbsp\\; my wifes 883 sporty would whoop my ***.&nbsp\\; Something is definitely wrong. just dont know what yet.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:54 PM
jcboof
Tourer

After I let the bike warm up for about 30 seconds or so,&nbsp\\; I took off down the alley,&nbsp\\; I didnt even get out of first gear before I noticed the lack of power.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I pulled in the clutch and it struggled to rev up.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 06-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Agentorange
Advanced

Definitely sounds like the cam timing is off. You said they looked different from different angles. I'd go the other way with it and see what happens. It won't hurt anything to try.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:44 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your cam timing is correct it is a good chance you are wet sumping.&nbsp\\; Did you replace the small and large o-ring on the oil pump and the two small o-rings between the case and cam plate.&nbsp\\; If the return side o-ring at the oil pump is not sealing then the crankcase is filling up with oil.&nbsp\\; Either way you will have to pull the cam plate to check it.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Sleeps In Trees
Road Master

Yep, my moneys on wet sumping too. Pinched&nbsp\\;or missing o-ring and/or misaligned oil pump.
&nbsp\\;
VicW.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:32 PM
jcboof
Tourer

Well,&nbsp\\; I got it all back together today,&nbsp\\; I pulled everything apart except for pulling the cams out of the plate,&nbsp\\; The cams were in alignment,&nbsp\\; But this time,&nbsp\\; I took the oil pump off and replaced the o-rings on the back of the pump and the one for the oil passage through the case and VOILA!&nbsp\\; Thing runs great,&nbsp\\; Oil pressure seems to be normal and she runs like a raped ape!!&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;
I'm very happy so far with the cams,&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I can Definitely feel the power especially pulling through 3rd gear,&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Now all i have to do is dyno tune it for maximum performance and economy!
Very glad I listened to you guys and YES I did have a HUGE wet sumping issue.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; But all is well now!
&nbsp\\;
Thanks a bunch