Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:26 PM
strongwood
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting problem

Greetings all

I have a carbureted twin 88 that has a starting problem

It has always started right up in cold and warm weather with no issues
about a week ago, I changed the oil and filter then sprayed the bike off with my pressure washer ( being very careful) and changed the plugs. I dried it with my leaf blower and put it away.

The next day, it was hard to start even using the choke. It finally started and I rode about 75 miles with no issues.

Brought it home and parked it. now, every time I try to start it cold , it takes forever. it turns over fine, the battery is good and I see no reason that it would not start right up anymore like it always did.

I initially thought it might have something to do with the filter I had just installed not letting the pressure come up and it maybe had a pressure sensor that kept it from starting but I have a gauge and light on it and the pressure is up but still no start.

I thought maybe it was the new plugs so I put the old ones back in but still the same problem.

Once it starts and warms up, it will start right up all afternoon but once it gets cold again, I go through the start up dance to get it going.

I am new to Harleys so I have come to the experienced folks here to help me with suggestions.

Any help is appreciated
99 FXDWG, first year for the V Twin in the Dyna I believe

Thanks