Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Fuelpak mystery

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:01 PM
250REDNECK
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuelpak mystery

The saga continues. What the hell do the numbers you put in a Fuelpak mean? I looked up my application entered the map it ran like crap. I tried another map it ran different but not necessarily better. I call Fuelpak and they give me a map that is no where near the map for my application as far as the numbers go. They tell me their system does nothing for fuel at idle yet the website says mode 17 adjust a/f ratio at idle. Mode 23 determines when the fuel comes back on after decel so it doesn't pop. Other than that I have no idea what these numbers mean. It would be so easy to tune if one only knew where to add fuel and where to subtract fuel. Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Mikester48
Advanced
Default For what its worth

I had problems with my FuelPak, backfiring occasionally, hesitation and occasional misfire.
I also tried to decipher the coded numbers and tried several different number sequences to solve the problem. I received an updated number sequence from V&H and the thing never ran to my satisfaction. Others are perfectly happy with theirs.
I bought a PowerCommander V from FuelMoto, they programmed it for my bike, pipes etc.
The problems were instantly gone, it runs great. I'm no expert and I'm not saying the FuelPak is necessarily a bad product. I couldn't get it to run right, and as a last resort I replaced it with the PowerCommander and am happy. I know this probably not what you want to hear, but you might consider it. The PowerCommander comes with software and fuel charts are available that are simple to understand and adjust if you want to. I don't understand what V&H is thinking with their "mystery" programs. I will also say that I have V&H pipes and they are the best I have ever had, great sound, power and quality.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:15 PM
250REDNECK
Advanced

Mikester,
I had a power commander on my fatboy and never had any driveability problems with it. Only reason I went with the Fuelpak is someone had one at the ready when I was looking for a tuner. I was really looking for a power commander and they suggested this thing. I think it could work ok if I could add and subtract fuel at the times I want to like the power commander. I just don't understand the method they use. Problem is, I'm into it for 200 bucks and it would cost me another 300 for a pc. I will call fuelpak agian tomorrow and see what I can get out of them.

Thanks

Old 07-18-2011, 08:55 PM
250REDNECK
Advanced

Spoke with Fuelpak today and they recommended tweeking modes 1 and 3 to add some fuel at lower throttle positions. That is about as much info I could get regarding the meaning of the modes. I am pretty sure they represent throttle position up to mode 15. modes after that are some special modes ie decel fuel shut off mode 23 and a/f ratio at idle mode 17

Old 07-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Navyrep1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Redneck...related to our other posts and dialogue with my issue, the Fuelpak or PC isn't ever going to be right and you'll never be able to dial it in properly if the underlying causal factor isn't fixed. After rereading your posts in both threads, I'm pretty convinced that you have a yet to be diagnosed underlying issue. It isn't running right because exactly as you said, the Fuelpak is just masking the symptoms. I'd bet if you figure out what the real issue is, the Fuelpak will be unnecessary or help the bike's fuel management as intended.

Ya also gotta keep in mind that HDs just aren't the smoothest critters in the forest. Sometimes that do fart just because. Yours doesn't sound like it falls into the "normal" category of HD lumpyness but at the same time, we shouldn't expect perfection. My two cents, figure out the underlying issue first before relying on a gizmo for better fuel managment.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:20 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I truly hope you can get it worked out. But, if it were me, I'd dump that damn thing in favor of a PC or TTS. Sometimes you just gotta cut your losses and run.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:31 PM
250REDNECK
Advanced

I not quite sold yet on the notion of giving up on the Fuelpak. I'm a little hardheaded when it comes to stuff like that. I like how easy it is to program,it's just a matter of getting the right numbers in it. I will keep pecking away at it and I have no doubt I will get it right sooner or later. I can be pretty patient and there is really no time frame on this, it's just a work in progress for me trying to perfect it. I do appreciate all the input though.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:28 PM
rare100thHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does anyone have more info on what modes do what on the fuelpak?