Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

EFI Fuel Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 10:16 AM
HARLEY100TH
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default EFI Fuel Leak

Yesterday, shortly after I headed out on my EFI 2003 Heritage, I started smelling fuel and looked down and saw that gas was shooting out from under the gas tank all over my right pants leg. I immediately pulled over as the engine sputtered out. The gas started steaming on the hot engine and I was worried for a time that the bike was going to burst into flames. Luckily it didn’t, but there I was stranded on the side of the road. A few righteous riders stopped to assist and I took a ride back to my house to get some tools. When I got back to the bike, I turned it on again to see where the fuel was actually coming from and amazingly nothing was coming out! It seemed OK. So I quickly started riding it home and once it warmed up again, fuel began shooting out from both sides of the bike now, under high presure even worse then before.

Well, the good news is that I was able to get the bike home and cleaned up. The bad news is that I sure as hell don't know what to do now as I cannot ride it to the dealer and I do not have a hitch on my car to rent a trailer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:32 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by HARLEY100TH
Yesterday, shortly after I headed out on my EFI 2003 Heritage, I started smelling fuel and looked down and saw that gas was shooting out from under the gas tank all over my right pants leg. I immediately pulled over as the engine sputtered out. The gas started steaming on the hot engine and I was worried for a time that the bike was going to burst into flames. Luckily it didn’t, but there I was stranded on the side of the road. A few righteous riders stopped to assist and I took a ride back to my house to get some tools. When I got back to the bike, I turned it on again to see where the fuel was actually coming from and amazingly nothing was coming out! It seemed OK. So I quickly started riding it home and once it warmed up again, fuel began shooting out from both sides of the bike now, under high presure even worse then before.

Well, the good news is that I was able to get the bike home and cleaned up. The bad news is that I sure as hell don't know what to do now as I cannot ride it to the dealer and I do not have a hitch on my car to rent a trailer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Is it possible that the tank had been removed at some time and hose is not clipped properly from tank to intake? just slightly off center? or maybe fuel line is old and requires replacement. year/model about $50 for part.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:12 PM
HARLEY100TH
Cruiser

Hi IM,

No, I have not removed the tank. Perhaps it is just a fuel line as you mention? It's a 2003 FLSTCi (Heritage Softail Classic)

Old 10-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a bad hose. Check the crossover hose that is visible under the tank. It connects the left and right sides of the tank. They are known to go bad. Biggest pain with it is draining the tank. If you think you want to DIY, there is good info. hear on how to do it. Just do a search. Once this is done, pretty easy to cut the old clamps off and replace it. You can use worm clamps instead of the factory crimp on ones.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:28 PM
HARLEY100TH
Cruiser

Thanks Clayvis, I'll check this. BTW, what are worm clamps?

Old 10-10-2011, 01:38 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Clayvis
Sounds like a bad hose. Check the crossover hose that is visible under the tank. It connects the left and right sides of the tank. They are known to go bad. Biggest pain with it is draining the tank. If you think you want to DIY, there is good info. hear on how to do it. Just do a search. Once this is done, pretty easy to cut the old clamps off and replace it. You can use worm clamps instead of the factory crimp on ones.
The cross over only has gravity pressure. I would lean tward your pressure line at the corner of the tank wich could be just an o-ring in the quick coupler. Could also be an injector line.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:01 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by HARLEY100TH
Thanks Clayvis, I'll check this. BTW, what are worm clamps?
worm clamp=hose clamp
The cheap clamps that you turn screw and it tightens..newer fuel injection clamps if available are nicer and cost maybe a buck more...but cross over line in front of tank is not under pressure..consider purchase of Harley service book for about $50...it will pay for itself in just one repair or service...

Old 10-10-2011, 03:05 PM
HARLEY100TH
Cruiser

Funny thing is, it isn't happenning when the engine is cold. the fuel only starts spraying out when the engine warms up. And it is "spraying" out under high pressure on the right side and "shooting" out in a stream on the left. Any further suggestions?

Old 10-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

This happened to me last month. The one button Ray connector cracked. Never found a replacement so I simply used an old fashioned hose clamp. Mine was a 7.89 for my "07 softie.

Here is the mfg picture of the connector. Once you disconnect from the tank reach in there (tight) and while pushing the button remove the connector and hose from the EFI stainless intake tube.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:40 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=337&B=10
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=337&B=10

It could be item #15 the quick coupler from the tank. you have to click fuel tank assy to get to the pic im refrencing.

Last edited by soft 02; 10-10-2011 at 04:42 PM.