Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Yet another cam thread, but with a twist...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:45 PM
BrianG
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Yet another cam thread, but with a twist...

I have just acquired my first HD, a 2003 HD FXSTB Night Train TC88 that has only the "stage one" mods, ie SE slip-on mufflers and some "free-flo induction" kit.

I guess this implies the stock 8.8:1 CR.

As you all know, this is one of the "lighter" HD's and most of my riding is solo.

Here is the twist, if you'll pardon the pun:
Unlike most of the HD riders seeking cam selection advice here, I like to crank-it-up, as opposed to short-shifting. I also enjoy a good romp through the curves, although at a slightly modified pace as compared to the Ducati that I just traded off on this HD. I quite like the HD, but a little more on the top would be more to my liking, than more stump-pulling bottom end torque.

Since I am about to embark upon the chain-drive tensioner conversion process with the Andrews kit I would like to use one of their N-series cams as well.

I like the sounds of the #37 cam (perhaps with a 4* advance) but am concerned that it won't meet my expectations in the otherwise stock 88 engine.

Your recommendations would be appreciated.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:05 AM
fxdxrider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a 37G set in my 88" FXDX with a Pro-pipe (before I added the 95" pistons and a Mikuni carb). Worked just fine, I didn't lose much at the bottom and gained nicely but modestly in the mid and upper. A worthwhile mod at that stage and benefitted even more from the subsequent work. However I'm now thinking about headwork and a slightly bigger cam. For where you are now I'd recommend the 37's - it's a nice, well behaved non-radical cam. Why would you use a 4 degree advance though if you want top end power? I thought they were for putting bottom end back in (at the cost of some top end) where the compression wasn't being raised - if you want that effect you could look at the SE 204.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:05 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

If you want mid-upper end power, then your going to need the breathing ability of the engine addressed.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:07 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,537 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianG
I like the sounds of the #37 cam (perhaps with a 4* advance) but am concerned that it won't meet my expectations in the otherwise stock 88 engine.

Your recommendations would be appreciated.
The 37 is never a bad choice but it you are looking for higher end power, you will need to address the heads. TC88 heads are the bottleneck to upper end power; the motor needs to breathe.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:00 AM
BrianG
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From the horse's mouth.........

I think the 37 cam is a great choice for a stock 88" engine in a lighter bike. You can go up to a 95" engine with 9.8:1 compression ratio, so the 37 cam would give you room for future engine mods if you want to. You could advance the cam 4 degrees in the 88" engine which will lower the peak torque rpm range a bit.

Thank you,

Gary Wallace
Technical Support

Andrews Products, Inc