Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Help with tuner selection

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:24 PM
MikeZ
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Help with tuner selection

I've posted on the Softail forum about this topic and was directed here. I have a 2012 Heritage and I added a Stage 1 a/c and slip-ons. The dealer did the Stage 1 flash. I am getting decel popping and I am concerned that the bike is running too lean. I'm not planning any major engine upgrades, but depending on the cost of the tuner or if a dyno is recommended, I may replace my slip-ons with a full exhaust system, such as V&H Big Shots Staggered.

I have heard different opinions from different local dealers and an independent: do the SE Pro tuner without a dyno run; do the SE Pro tuner with the dyno; don't do anything and don't worry about it. What do you guys suggest? I am not opposed to a pre-mapped after-market tuner, but I keep hearing horror stories from the dealers. I likely won't do the install myself unless it's really a no-brainer.

I am happy with the bike's performance . . . but who wouldn't like a low- to mid-range torque boost, too?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:36 PM
bigbully67
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many have added xieds to add a little more fuel in closed loop and are happy. If your not planning on any more mods and have all ready laid out the cash for a download, this is probably your cheapest option. You're still running a fairly lean 14.7/1 afr, if I'm not mistaken, so a little more fuel should help you out. Of coarse you could spend much more $ on a real tuner and get a better tune and get a little more power out of it but it may not be needed in your situation. Do some research and read what the other members will have to say. Then go with what you feel is best for your sled and budget. You can go to nightriders website to find out more about the xied's. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

MikeZ; I'm extremely pleased with Dobeck Performance tuners. I run the TFI on my 09 FLHX, but they have two newer products available on the marked (GEN3 & GEN4). Also, if you qualify, they have great discounds for military, public service & forum members. Might want to take a look: www.dobeckperformance.com

Old 11-17-2011, 09:06 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How far are you from Bethlehem, Pa? Call Dave at JD's Cycleworks. He's one of the best tuners on the East Coast, and can be a real asset to you.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are happy with the power save your money. The a/f ratio is the EPA mandated 14.7-1 so honestly if the heat from the motor isn't bothering you I wouldn't worry about it. Now if you are planning cams or a big bore kit then buy a tuner,dyno jet or tts are your best bet.
The decel pop could be a loose headpipe. Check that out before buying anything. And any enrichment module is going to cost you fuel economy. If your happy don't change anything.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:22 PM
ManicKernel
Cruiser

Until you put in a cam all you need is a fuel pak. They are much cheaper.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:47 AM
jerryleon
Cruiser

X-IED-10 on my 2011 RGU made a big improvement, fuel consumption was not affected..

stage 1, cat removed, v&h monster ovals

Old 11-18-2011, 12:04 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

The decel pop is because you are running too lean. The dealer download will not help that since they have to make sure the bike runs to EPA specs. Of course the dealer is telling bad stories about tuners since they want to sell you what they have.
You need to add fuel to certain rpm ranges and the XEIDs or FuelPak may do the trick but they are not real tuners. I can say this because I tried both.
Finally went with the ThunderMax and gained a whole lot of low end power. It's not exactly a nobrainer to install, but if I could do it it couldn't be that bad. My point is not to get a ThunderMax but something that will let you adjust the critical areas.
I hear good things about the Dobeck and the PCIII and they are not as involved to install.