Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Commercial Posts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 08:38 PM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Commercial Posts?

Now that AFLAC is posting, where will this go?
Maybe I missed something before but I've never seen the commercial post unless it was something helpful from a sponsor for something HD related.
This crap will send me to an inferior forum dammit.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:07 PM
jjtroutbum
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont see any posts from whatever company. I have stupid pop ups that suck but I dont pay anything to be here. On another sight im at when someone non paying hell or paying threatens to leave the normal responce is "well bye". But I've only been here for a bit so ill just let someone else do that.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:58 PM
jangler14
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree fully. This site has gotten terrible with ads and I don't think going to another site that does NOT blast our pics with ads or insert commercials into posts would be a bad idea. I envision a community that operates on donations. One where we contribute to the better good of the community, where we share ideas like what a brotherhood is supposed to be.
By the way I work in the hosting dept of the best social community platform which just started offering a free version. I could very easily create a new community for us all. LET ME KNOW.
If you knew how much money this site must generate for the owners......well they could at least afford a modern user interface and experience for us all! And yet here we are with this archaic, pre-myspace format that we are assaulted with by ads that generate revenue that does not get contributed back to the very community that actually generated the funding.

Where is your freaking heart!!!! Give us some love back, NOT grief, HDFORUMS!!!!

Old 05-14-2014, 10:03 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

AdblockPlus stops those "posts" from showing up. Also, being logged in helps as well.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:35 PM
jangler14
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"AdblockPlus stops those "posts" from showing up."

Something along this lines is good tip/option. Only if you are using a desktop PC though. But then you need to install another program just to get a better experience from the site.

There is a better user experience to be had nowadays with more up to date social platform. Regardless of the ads. The mobile experience is the present and not the future. Here is a good example of a modern experience is like.
http://community.dog.com/

Old 05-15-2014, 06:33 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain

What I was referring to in the original post was the fact that an AFLAC ad was inserted just like a post from on of us when I first opened the website yesterday. It disappeared after a while of surfing on here.

Just the same, it's a terrible idea. I don't mind the sponsored ads to the right,
but when I have to navigate around ads in the posts themselves to avoid, that's the time I stop posting or reading.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:01 AM
NYC.streetkid
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea . . it's getting old. Michelin is another that appeared as a post (if memory serves). I also get tired of vendors in threads pushing their 'stuff' / services. Yea the site is free, and I'm a newcomer but these things are somewhat bothersome and getting old to me. Of course it's easy enough to simply not pay attention to them.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:55 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

It costs money to host a site like this. Advertising pays the bills.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:34 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
It costs money to host a site like this. Advertising pays the bills.
Like I said, I don't mind the ones to the right and I buy from these vendors. When you start putting advertising in just like a post though, it sucks.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:21 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

And as others have said, adblockers and pop-up blockers will stop them.