General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sena / IPhone5 / Garmin Zumo 665 pairing sequence

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 12:37 AM
OPDSam30
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sena / IPhone5 / Garmin Zumo 665 pairing sequence

If you’re trying to pair an IPhone 5 to a Sena SMH10 and a Garmin Zumo 665, this can be a hair pulling experience and quite frustrating to say the least.

After hours spent trying different pairing sequences and much trial and error, I finally think I found the correct sequence.

First let me tell you what communication setup I was trying to obtain. I wanted to pair all three devices so that I could listen to music in stereo quality, talk on my phone and have voice turn-by-turn instructions from my Garmin Zumo 665. Sounds simple enough right?? Not quite.

I started by buying a 32 gig SD card since the Garmin can be used as an MP3 player. After loading about 400+ songs on my card, my Brother-In-Law told me to be mindful of how many songs I store on the card as the more music stored increase the upload time for all the maps. He’s running a Garmin Zumo 450 Non-Bluetooth and this seems to be an issue for him. I’ll talk about the Zumo 450 later.

I began by starting on a clean slate. I cleared all pairings from all three devices. Keep in mind the Zumo 665 is constantly sending out a Bluetooth signal.

1.) Turn on your IPhone 5 and your Garmin Zumo 665.

2.) Open the IPhone 5’s and Garmin’s Bluetooth screen and you should see the Zumo 665’s ID on your I Phone.

3.) Select the Garmin and pair it to your IPhone 5. You may have to use a pass key, which is 1234. You should see the IPhone 5 paired to the Garmin and vice versa.

4.) Now turn your IPhone 5’s Bluetooth off.

5.) Turn on your Sena SMH-10 and place it into Phone pairing mode by holding the phone button down on the SMH10 for 5 seconds until you here it go into “Pairing” mode.

6.) Go to the Bluetooth function on your Garmin Zumo 665 and select the Sena SMH10 as your audio device. It may take a few seconds to pair.
That’s it!

What you have now is your IPhone serving as just that, a phone. It is linked via Bluetooth to your Garmin Zumo 665. You’ll be able to hear turn-by-turn instructions and stereo quality music (off of your SD Card) through your Sena SMH10 headset.

I did notice an issue when turning off one or the other device. When pairing the devices back up, the music quality was no longer in stereo. I played with the sequence a bit and determined that you have to turn your Sena SMH10 on before turning your ignition key on, which in turn supplies power to your 665. Of course, this is assuming you’re using a Garmin Zumo Motorcycle mount, which also serves as a power supply. I don’t know why it does that, but it does.

My Brother-In-Law has a Garmin Zumo 450, which is not Bluetooth capable so he runs it through a 3.5 AUX cord into his AUX input jack on his Honda Goldwing. From there, he can hear turn-by-turn through his hardwired headset.

The problem is he wasn’t able to use it on his 2004 Harley Davidson Screaming Eagle Electra Glide CVO. In comes the Sena SM10 Bluetooth Audio Transmitter to the rescue. Simply run an AUX Cord from your Non-Bluetooth GPS device into the SM10 Transmitter AUX input port. The SM10 converts the audio signal into a Bluetooth signal. Now pair the Sena SMH10 to your IPhone and your SM10 transmitter and you will have turn-by-turn instructions as well as phone capability through your SMH10. Because you’re using the SMH10 Bluetooth headsets, you also have bike-to-bike communication with three other devices. Normally, the Sena SMH10 can pair up to four other devices. However, keep in mind that pairing your SMH10 to an SM10 takes up one of the four other devices you can pair up to.

I hope this has been helpful for all those trying to go to a wireless Bluetooth system.

I know there is a product out there that integrates with the Harley Touring Harmon Kardon CB. Bought it and it didn't work for me so I run a self made hybrid Bluetooth/hardwired system on my Harley Street Glide, which worked well on a recent ride.

I'd be more than happy to share my configuration with anyone if there is any interest out there.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:13 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

I have been running the Sena SMH-10 and the iPhone 6+ and Zumo 665 for about 2 1/2 years. My experience is the same as yours.

Basically, you need to pair the iPhone to the Zumo, and then the Zumo to the Sena. This allows you to take and make phone calls from your iPhone, and you can stream stereo music from the Zumo to the Sena. This also gives your Zumo your full phone book and all the features that the Zumo has such as call log, etc. And you get turn by turn instructions from the Zumo if you have a GPS destination.

The one thing that you cannot do is stream music from your iPhone to the Sena under this configuration.

Sometimes when powering up (about 40% of the time) the Zumo will pair to the Sena in mono mode. In practice I have found that if you simply power the Sena down and then power it back up it will re-pair in stereo. I have not found any rhyme or reason as to why this occurs.

Incidentally, the largest micro SD card you can use with the Zumo 665 is 32GB. I have found that you can have at least 2500 songs on the card before it starts to affect how fast the Zumo will boot up. So if you have a huge library, have a couple of the cards with different song libraries. 2500 is a lot.

Overall I am pretty happy with the Zumo. It takes me where I wanna go, and I can listen to music and/or talk on the phone along the way.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:46 AM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

How about not worrying about talking on your phone while riding...

Old 07-08-2016, 08:57 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Twospot
How about not worrying about talking on your phone while riding...
How about it?

Old 07-08-2016, 04:52 PM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Were you guys on the audio/visual squad in Junior High?

Old 08-20-2016, 03:51 PM
OPDSam30
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hiya Lone,

It's been awhile since I've been on this forum and I hadn't noticed your comment. We didn't have an audio/visual squad in Jr. High when I attended. The most technological audio component was a movie projector. That being said, I like having the capability of talking on my phone when riding and feel quite safe doing it. To each is his own I guess.

Redleg, in response to your response, What I now do is pair my SMH10 to my I Phone and my Zumo. I do not pair the zumo and the I Phone together. I power up my Zumo first and let it connect to my phone, then I turn the ignition on, which powers up my zumo in the cradle. This sequence seems to work well. I have phone and streaming music capability from the I Phone and turn by turn from the Zumo with no problems noted.

Good Luck