General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FP3 Fuelpak - eliminating decel pop

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 01:59 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 71on72
Did you do Autotune before playing with decel pop settings?
No, just flashed the one new map that showed up.
Once the new map is in place you can access the decel pop setting by hitting air/fuel settings for the new map.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:26 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt Steve
I have been playing with the FP3, experimenting with different settings. After running half a dozen tanks of fuel and speaking with Vance & Hines this is what I have learned:

You cannot enhance the performance - add HP and Torque without burning more fuel {yeah, I knew that one going in}. V&H correctly predicted an approximate 4+/- mpg drop.

By setting the Decel Pop reduction page to High {showing 3 firecrackers}, the ECM reduces pop the least - using less fuel to do so and my mileage (when I ran on the "light" setting, one firecracker, the pop was gone but my mileage dropped to 40), while not as good as it was pre tune {48 - 50 solo}, is now a very respectable 44.5. That is over the last 3 tanks/500+ miles on a variety of roads but mostly 2 lane state highways running between 55 and 70.

The decel pop is still gone. Rapid deceleration from high RPM only garners a very pleasant rumble/burble. I feel like I have struck a balance between controlling the pop and enjoying the enhanced performance vs mileage. I have gained increases in both HP and Torque and the bike runs significantly cooler. Lastly, it sounds AWESOME!
So, you went from 1 firecracker to 3 and you got better mileage?? According to V&H " Decel pop can range from a small firecracker to a large bang" and "Just select the level of popping that you currently have"...I would think if you have a lot of pop and select 3 firecrackers, it would use more fuel???

Old 12-16-2016, 02:37 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Question No pop and better mileage...

The way they explained it to me was that to reduce pop the ECM feeds more fuel making the mixture too rich to ignite/pop. At the light setting you are getting the maximum pop reduction - by way of the maximum amount of fuel added and thus the worst mileage.

When I ran it set to light {one firecracker}, I got 40 mpg. Switching it up to high {3 firecrackers}, I am getting 44.5 and still have no pop whatsoever. Not sure if I really understand everything that is going on in the ECU but all I know is the bike is running stronger, cooler and sounds better {no pop}, than ever.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:37 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,068 Likes on 8,806 Posts

No, just flashed the one new map that showed up.
Once the new map is in place you can access the decel pop setting by hitting air/fuel settings for the new map.
Did you reflash the ecm after you adjusted the pop? What if I do not like the change. Is it flashed
I wish V&H would provide a manual.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:39 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,509 Likes on 2,995 Posts

You know your bike pops a lot if the HOG group calls your bike,"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!"

Old 12-16-2016, 02:45 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Wink No need to re flash...

Originally Posted by 71on72
Did you reflash the ecm after you adjusted the pop? What if I do not like the change. Is it flashed
I wish V&H would provide a manual.
No, once the new map was flashed and showing on the App I just went to fuel/air setting {for that new map}, and dialed the decel pop control from light to high. I assume that the FP3 was talking to the ECU through the bluetooth/app at the time as when I check the app now it shows the decel pop set to high.

You can always go back and change the decel settings or even just go back to the original stock tune and start the new flash over again. I agree a manual instead of that little fold out paper could be very helpful. The guys at V&H are great to chat with and they will take all the time you need to get your questions answered.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:51 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,068 Likes on 8,806 Posts

Thanks

Old 12-16-2016, 03:42 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

The way they explained it to me was that to reduce pop the ECM feeds more fuel making the mixture too rich to ignite/pop. At the light setting you are getting the maximum pop reduction - by way of the maximum amount of fuel added and thus the worst mileage.

When I ran it set to light {one firecracker}, I got 40 mpg. Switching it up to high {3 firecrackers}, I am getting 44.5 and still have no pop whatsoever. Not sure if I really understand everything that is going on in the ECU but all I know is the bike is running stronger, cooler and sounds better {no pop}, than ever.
I'm not sure who explained it to you, but I just got off the phone with V&H and this is what they told me...He said that the "firecrackers" do represent the amount of pop your getting and want to eliminate. He said I should use the LEAST number of firecrackers that work to eliminate the pop starting with 1 because the more firecrackers the more fuel it's putting in and the worse my mpg will be..... I'm currently running 1 firecracker on my Breakout and didn't notice much drop in mpg, but wanted to check with V&H to see if it would be better at 2 or 3. He told me definitely NOT.....I'm not sure why your results are different, but it sounds like it's not the norm...

Last edited by Rocker B; 12-16-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:59 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Red face I may be confused... but it works

Rocker, All I can do is report what I have experienced. After several weeks of experimenting I found:

By returning to the original factory tune I got 48.5.

Switched back to the fuel Map the FP3 recommended with the decel pop set to light {one firecracker}, and got 40.

Switched to the decel pop high setting {three firecrackers}, and got 44.5.

All of these mileage numbers were based on running the same route at the same speeds. Both of the guys I spoke with at V&H confirmed that a 4 {+ or -}, mpg loss was normal and that the 44.5 I am now getting is about as good as it will ever get.

They said that the number of firecrackers reflects the level of pop you will have not the level you are trying to eliminate. Eliminating more pop to get to a lower level requires more fuel and subsequently higher consumption.

I'm not sure why I lost all of the pop at the high setting {just glad that I did}, in fact it sounds just like at the low setting but gets much better mileage... so go figure??? The bike runs stronger and cooler than ever so as far as I can see I am done.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:42 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

Rocker, All I can do is report what I have experienced. After several weeks of experimenting I found:

By returning to the original factory tune I got 48.5.

Switched back to the fuel Map the FP3 recommended with the decel pop set to light {one firecracker}, and got 40.

Switched to the decel pop high setting {three firecrackers}, and got 44.5.

All of these mileage numbers were based on running the same route at the same speeds. Both of the guys I spoke with at V&H confirmed that a 4 {+ or -}, mpg loss was normal and that the 44.5 I am now getting is about as good as it will ever get.

They said that the number of firecrackers reflects the level of pop you will have not the level you are trying to eliminate. Eliminating more pop to get to a lower level requires more fuel and subsequently higher consumption.

I'm not sure why I lost all of the pop at the high setting {just glad that I did}, in fact it sounds just like at the low setting but gets much better mileage... so go figure??? The bike runs stronger and cooler than ever so as far as I can see I am done.
I'm not questioning your results, I'm sure they're accurate...I'm just wondering why your getting them. From what V&H told me today, and my experience with 1 firecracker having minimal affect on my mpg, it's as if your firecrackers are working in reverse order from how they're intended...

Last edited by Rocker B; 12-16-2016 at 09:55 PM.

Quick Reply: FP3 Fuelpak - eliminating decel pop