General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FP3 Fuelpak - eliminating decel pop

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 09:13 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,085 Likes on 8,809 Posts

V&H needs to create a Users Manual that is online.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:29 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts
Red face Yep, I'm still confused...

Rocker, If I got the explanation of how the decel pop program works right {and that is a big "if"}, then it makes sense. The fact that I find virtually no difference between one cracker and three in terms of the pop is strange {but I am just glad to have the pop go away for whatever reason}, and the mileage improvement seems to be holding up.

There's nothing that I would rather do than get up and ride and being here in southern Arizona I get that opportunity almost every day so I will continue to do so and will report back.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:46 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt Steve
They said that the number of firecrackers reflects the level of pop you will have not the level you are trying to eliminate.
This is the exact opposite of what I was told, and doesn't match what their app says, if you read this screen shot below, from the FP3 app., "JUST SELECT THE LEVEL OF POPPING THAT YOU CURRENTLY HAVE" " you'll notice it says "pop can range from "a" small firecracker to large bangs" So, if you have more than "a" small firecracker pop, adjusting to 2 or 3 firecrackers may be necessary to eliminate it, but like I was told today, that SHOULD lessen your mpg. That would also be why your finding no difference in pop between 1 firecracker and 3... If 1 firecracker eliminates the pop, it shouldn't come back using to 2 or 3.

Last edited by Rocker B; 12-16-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:21 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member

Screenshot says you must flash after selecting decel pop

Old 12-16-2016, 11:31 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 71on72
Screenshot says you must flash after selecting decel pop
Yes, any time you edit the map you have to flash the change...

Old 12-17-2016, 10:44 AM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Question I stand corrected... and confused

Rocker,

I can not disagree with anything you have posted. Thanks for the screen shot from the V&H site. I've been wrong before, hell I've already been wrong this morning {just ask my wife}, but this really has me puzzled.

I just went out to the garage and connected the FP3. The bike is tuned to the new fuel map/tune and the decel pop is definitely set to "High" - 3 firecrackers.

When I initially flashed the new fuel map/tune I still had some pop, not a lot but it was there and my mileage dropped to 46.

The next time I checked I discovered the decel pop control page that I had not seen initially. "Perfect" I thought and quickly reset the pop control to light - one firecracker and my mileage immediately dropped to 40 but the pop was gone.

To verify where I was at I re flashed back to the original factory tune I got my old mileage of 48.5 and the pop was back.

I then reflashed the new fuel map/tune and reset the decel pop to High and the mileage came up to 44.5 and the pop is gone.

Right now I am fine with the way the bike is running {strong, cool with no pop and acceptable mileage}, but have no clue how and why I got here??? Obviously I misunderstood what the two guys from V&H were telling me but something is really weird here.

I understood from day one that more power {HP/Torque}, would come at a cost in mileage. V&H said expect to lose 4 mpg +/- and I have due to the richer mixture. The huge side benefit of the engine running significantly cooler is just another reason to do this.

For the record all of mileage computations throughout this have been solo over the same loop of roads/ cruising speeds and all in good weather (little or no wind). For now it ain't broke so I am not going to try anything new, just ride and I'll report back one way or the other. At least it keeps giving me another reason to go ride every day.... "Honey, I have to recheck the new Tune be back in a few hours" {and yes she sees right though this}

Last edited by Capt Steve; 12-17-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:31 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member

Seems like each bike and rider is unique. I bought my dyna 103ci new. It ran so lean and hot that the header pipe would glow. I did SE slip-ons, stage 1 intake and HD download. Still ran hot and lean. I was constantly twisting the throttle to open in order to get more fuel and power. My mileage went down. I then installed FP3 and the map that V&H recommended. Big improvement but I still wasn't satisfied. Then I ran Autotune for 3 tanks varying rpm and throttle position until I was satisfied with performance. 75 green cells in the 1500-5000rpm range and TP up to 60-80%. Felt no need to tune beyond that. Guess what. My mileage improved because it ran more efficiently and I didn't have to open throttle to get good performance. I might experiment with decel pop settings to see if I can get even better performance. I'll let you know.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:42 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Talking Time for an update...

It has been a month and about 1,500 miles since my last post. I tried several different combinations of Decel Pop settings on the FP3 running multiple tanks of gas over as close to the same roads, riding conditions, style etc., as I could.

The best results have been to simply turn the Decel Pop control to "Off" and stay with the new fuel map/tune that the FP3 found for my AC and exhaust.

The bike runs great, much cooler than before {the result of a richer mixture no doubt}, with noticeably more power {HP and Torque}. My riding buddies, including the original owner all swear that it sounds better than ever. The decel pop has disappeared like a fart in the wind and I am consistently getting 44-46 mpg... Headed to Quartzsite, Laughlin, Vegas and Oatman next week, wooo hoo, Life is good!

Old 01-18-2017, 04:52 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Capt Steve
The best results have been to simply turn the Decel Pop control to "Off" and stay with the new fuel map/tune that the FP3 found for my AC and exhaust.
So, are you saying you didn't first try the base map for your exhaust, as-is , before you used the "Decel Pop" feature?? If that's the case, it sounds like you were trying to fix a problem you didn't have....or did you flash a new map??

Last edited by Rocker B; 01-18-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:05 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Wink Nope...well maybe a little

Originally Posted by Rocker B
So, are you saying you didn't first try the base map as-is , before you used the "Decel Pop" feature?? If that's the case, it sounds like you were trying to fix a problem you didn't have....or did you flash a new map??

Not at all. First thing I did when I got the FP3 was to flash the map it selected for my bike as I had equipped it. Got great results, more HP/Torque and it ran cooler but still had some decel pop.

I stumbled on the Decel Pop page and thought, hey, here is the solution to my pop. When I started messing around trying the different settings of Decel Pop control my mileage went to hell. At this point I was rapidly approaching searching for a solution for which there was no known problem {and yes, the government does this all the time}.

I suspect that the ECM takes a bit of time to learn the new tune/fuel map and the pop I initially had probably would have gone away if I had just left well enough alone after flashing the new map. I screwed around for a month or so and now finally have what I sought in the first place.... far better performance and only a small hit on my mileage - 4 mpg less as predicted by V&H.

Quick Reply: FP3 Fuelpak - eliminating decel pop