General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FP3 Fuelpak - eliminating decel pop

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 05:25 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt Steve
Not at all. First thing I did when I got the FP3 was to flash the map it selected for my bike as I had equipped it. Got great results, more HP/Torque and it ran cooler but still had some decel pop.

I stumbled on the Decel Pop page and thought, hey, here is the solution to my pop. When I started messing around trying the different settings of Decel Pop control my mileage went to hell. At this point I was rapidly approaching searching for a solution for which there was no known problem {and yes, the government does this all the time}.

I suspect that the ECM takes a bit of time to learn the new tune/fuel map and the pop I initially had probably would have gone away if I had just left well enough alone after flashing the new map. I screwed around for a month or so and now finally have what I sought in the first place.... far better performance and only a small hit on my mileage - 4 mpg less as predicted by V&H.
Got it... and I agree it might have gone away. I know it does take some time for the ECM to learn changes. When I changed cams in my bikes and flashed new maps, they only got about 20 mpg for the first tank or so, until the ECM figured it out....Glad your happy with it now!!

Old 01-18-2017, 07:37 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Have either of you ran the auto tune function to fine tune to your bike and riding styles?

Old 01-18-2017, 07:43 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts
Talking Not yet....

Nope, i've learned my lesson.... and for now at least, I am done messing with it.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:04 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
Have either of you ran the auto tune function to fine tune to your bike and riding styles?
Yes, I have...With my Breakout, after installing the FP3 and flashing the map for my V&H pipes, it ran really good, but I did notice a slight improvement after a couple of auto tune sessions. Later, when I swapped cams, I edited the map with the new Andrews 37H cams and re-flashed. The bike ran GREAT, but I did run a few extensive A/T sessions just to see it could run any better. I really didn't notice any improvement, the bike actually runs better across the board with the base map and cam edit, so I flashed it back....When I installed the FP3 on my Rocker, I knew I would be swapping cams soon, so I didn't bother running A/T. I flashed a new map when the cams went in and the bike runs perfect, so I'm in no hurry to run an A/T session... I think when running V&H pipes the FP3 base maps are pretty close to "right-on"!!!

Old 10-14-2017, 09:27 AM
3dognate
Tourer
Received 337 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocker B
Yes, I have...With my Breakout, after installing the FP3 and flashing the map for my V&H pipes, it ran really good, but I did notice a slight improvement after a couple of auto tune sessions. Later, when I swapped cams, I edited the map with the new Andrews 37H cams and re-flashed. The bike ran GREAT, but I did run a few extensive A/T sessions just to see it could run any better. I really didn't notice any improvement, the bike actually runs better across the board with the base map and cam edit, so I flashed it back....When I installed the FP3 on my Rocker, I knew I would be swapping cams soon, so I didn't bother running A/T. I flashed a new map when the cams went in and the bike runs perfect, so I'm in no hurry to run an A/T session... I think when running V&H pipes the FP3 base maps are pretty close to "right-on"!!!
I think they actually tune them on the Dyno to perfection. I've no complaints about how my '17 RGS runs... with just an intake and slip on change and an FP3 it runs MUCH stronger than a stock M8 motor.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:11 AM
nom4d88
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So no need to flash the map after adjusted the decel pop setting ? Because everytime I flashed the map after I chose which setting I want, the decel setting back to "OFF" position. That I found out right after I flashed it than I went to "VIEW /EDIT MAP > Decel POP Setting"

Old 01-23-2019, 06:46 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,478 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Anytime you make a change to the FP3 including the decel pop setting , you must reflash or it won't take affect .

Last edited by MyFavRk; 01-23-2019 at 07:03 AM.