General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FP3 Fuelpak - eliminating decel pop

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 10:34 AM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts
Wink FP3 Fuelpak - eliminating decel pop

A few months ago I added the Vance & Hines Propipe 2 into one exhaust and followed that with the FP3 Fuelpak Tuner. The results were immediate and amazing. The bike ran 20 - 30 degrees cooler {it obviously had been running lean which = hot}. As the tuner got the ECM to run a little richer I picked up more power, HP & Torque and the tone got even sweeter.

I still had some decel pop but not nearly as bad as it had been. After about 5,000 miles I noticed the decel pop was creeping back and my mileage was dropping off. It turns out I had exhaust leaks at each cylinder as the Propipe nuts securing it to the heads were backing off.

I got the Propipe retorqued to spec {+ a couple of pounds and added lock washers}, and decided to use the FP3 to retune. After resetting the basic tune with the appropriate map for my AC and exhaust a second page{that I had never seen before}, suddenly appeared on my phone app. It was labeled Decel Pop with four settings: Off, light, medium and high. I had been running in the Off position so I switched it to light.

Had to laugh at the graphics as the Light setting shows one stick of dynamite/firecracker{?} with the fuse lit, medium shows 2 and high shows 3. Took it out for a ride and the decel pop is gone... like a virgin on Prom night. It's too early to tell but that short ride sure felt like everything is better than ever. Ran nice and cool, gobs of power with a sweet, deep tone but no pop. I'll report back after a few hundred miles, I suspect my mileage will be as good as ever, typically 50 solo and 48 two up. Love my V&H exhaust and tune.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:04 AM
Dalt10
Road Master

Received 189 Likes on 135 Posts

My bike did the same thing. Tightened up the bolts and remapped. Set mine on the 2 firecrackers and been fine since. No popping now.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:26 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I wonder what parameters it is adjusting to eliminate the decel pop?

Old 11-17-2016, 11:33 AM
MikerR1
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt Steve
A few months ago I added the Vance & Hines Propipe 2 into one exhaust and followed that with the FP3 Fuelpak Tuner. The results were immediate and amazing. The bike ran 20 - 30 degrees cooler {it obviously had been running lean which = hot}. As the tuner got the ECM to run a little richer I picked up more power, HP & Torque and the tone got even sweeter.

I still had some decel pop but not nearly as bad as it had been. After about 5,000 miles I noticed the decel pop was creeping back and my mileage was dropping off. It turns out I had exhaust leaks at each cylinder as the Propipe nuts securing it to the heads were backing off.

I got the Propipe retorqued to spec {+ a couple of pounds and added lock washers}, and decided to use the FP3 to retune. After resetting the basic tune with the appropriate map for my AC and exhaust a second page{that I had never seen before}, suddenly appeared on my phone app. It was labeled Decel Pop with four settings: Off, light, medium and high. I had been running in the Off position so I switched it to light.

Had to laugh at the graphics as the Light setting shows one stick of dynamite/firecracker{?} with the fuse lit, medium shows 2 and high shows 3. Took it out for a ride and the decel pop is gone... like a virgin on Prom night. It's too early to tell but that short ride sure felt like everything is better than ever. Ran nice and cool, gobs of power with a sweet, deep tone but no pop. I'll report back after a few hundred miles, I suspect my mileage will be as good as ever, typically 50 solo and 48 two up. Love my V&H exhaust and tune.
I am posting this here because it is a real good article on decel popping and I might want to refer to it again in the future.

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/exha...ses-solutions/

The following users liked this post:
Capt Steve (11-17-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 08:48 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm still getting decel pop even with 2 "firecrackers" tuned in, however I only get it when closing the throttle all the way quickly. If I close the throttle gradually, it doesn't pop.
I emailed Vance & Hines over the weekend, but maybe they are off due to the Thanksgiving holiday this week. Any ideas?

Old 11-22-2016, 10:13 AM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Wink Try one firecracker...

Try the "light" setting with just one firecracker. This is working for me, absolutely no more pop and the bike runs better than ever. Too early to tell but my mileage seems to be getting back to normal - 50 solo and 48 two up.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:14 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_Al47
I'm still getting decel pop even with 2 "firecrackers" tuned in, however I only get it when closing the throttle all the way quickly. If I close the throttle gradually, it doesn't pop.
I emailed Vance & Hines over the weekend, but maybe they are off due to the Thanksgiving holiday this week. Any ideas?
Try 3 and if that don't work try 4. Also check for exhaust leaks as has been talked about. I use the Power Vision II and you can quick tune the decel range. What it does is add fuel there which makes the unburned gases in the pipes that can ignite too rich to burn, eliminating the pop. PV also suggest tweaking the timing a bit in the decel range along with the fuel adjustment.

Last edited by HenryT; 11-22-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:03 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Default Update: Mileage vs pop...

After 5 tanks of gas I found that with the decel pop reduction set to "light {one firecracker}, my mileage had dropped 4 mpg. I was getting a consistent 46 solo and when I rode with my bride the other day it dropped to 42.

I called Vance & Hines and spoke to a tech. I complained about diminished mileage and he called it, "You lost 4 mpg right?" I said yes and he suggested just tuning off the decal pop control and live with a little pop and enjoy the mileage I got before.

He explained that with the decal pop control engaged the ECM is just feeding additional fuel on deceleration which riches the mix enough so the the pop is eliminated.

Since the bike will run fine on any of the settings I am back {decal pop control set of "off"} to hopefully my original mileage and pop is minimal. I would rather have a little more range and the Propipe 2 into 1 sure makes a sweet sound {bit of a roar actually}. Won't get to put enough miles on the bike for a week or so but will confirm the return of the better mileage after a couple of tanks when I get back into town.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:25 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Wink Final update...

I have been playing with the FP3, experimenting with different settings. After running half a dozen tanks of fuel and speaking with Vance & Hines this is what I have learned:

You cannot enhance the performance - add HP and Torque without burning more fuel {yeah, I knew that one going in}. V&H correctly predicted an approximate 4+/- mpg drop.

By setting the Decel Pop reduction page to High {showing 3 firecrackers}, the ECM reduces pop the least - using less fuel to do so and my mileage (when I ran on the "light" setting, one firecracker, the pop was gone but my mileage dropped to 40), while not as good as it was pre tune {48 - 50 solo}, is now a very respectable 44.5. That is over the last 3 tanks/500+ miles on a variety of roads but mostly 2 lane state highways running between 55 and 70.

The decel pop is still gone. Rapid deceleration from high RPM only garners a very pleasant rumble/burble. I feel like I have struck a balance between controlling the pop and enjoying the enhanced performance vs mileage. I have gained increases in both HP and Torque and the bike runs significantly cooler. Lastly, it sounds AWESOME!

Last edited by Capt Steve; 12-16-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:18 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,540 Likes on 8,627 Posts

Did you do Autotune before playing with decel pop settings?

Quick Reply: FP3 Fuelpak - eliminating decel pop