General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical system shuts down when ambient tempurature is hot.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 06:50 PM
cowboytwinkie
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical system shuts down when ambient tempurature is hot.

The whole electrical shuts down when the temperature is about 90 degrees and up. I let it sit for about 20 to 30 seconds and then everything is fine. It only happens when I have been sitting at a traffic light for awhile. Last time it let me get up to about 35 MPH after sitting at a traffic light then shut down. It seems to slowly be getting worse. It also has been burning out the headlight bulbs more often as it gets worse. Last one only lasted about 3 weeks.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:27 PM
BluesCast
Advanced
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Tough to diagnose on a forum, could be many things. I'd check the coil first. Make sure plug wires are secure and while the bike is running lightly tap the coil with the handle end of a screw driver.

Also check the battery cables are secure at both ends.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:53 PM
raymint
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what year make model just a wild one here maybe the circurtbreakers are to close to a hot part

Old 05-08-2017, 11:58 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

You need to have your charging system checked.

Are you sure that your battery is fully charged and that both battery cables are clean and tight? (Be sure to check the ground cable at the frame).
From what you're describing, I'd say that either your voltage regulator or perhaps a weak circuit breaker may be the culprit but electronics can sometimes be a b***h to diagnose, especially when you have a "sometimes" issue.

Your headlight issue would seem to indicate a v/r problem but the bike "shutting down" could be a circuit breaker (if the engine, lights. etc. all go out).

If it's just your engine shutting down in hot temps, it may be something in your ignition/EFI system but you need to check and eliminate the cheap, simple possibilities first.

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 05-09-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:30 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Most likely what is taking out the light is a voltage spike caused by a large load dropping out & likely caused by a poor ground on something. The ground should kill the spike, but without the ground it goes back into the electrical system.
It could also be a short that is getting worse & causing both problems. This can also be hidden in a wiring harness. Hot areas, sharp bend areas, clamped areas.
Good luck.....

Old 05-09-2017, 02:42 AM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Which bike, what year etc

I had heat related electrical issues myself and it was the ignition switch of all things.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:51 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboytwinkie
The whole electrical shuts down when the temperature is about 90 degrees and up. I let it sit for about 20 to 30 seconds and then everything is fine. It only happens when I have been sitting at a traffic light for awhile. Last time it let me get up to about 35 MPH after sitting at a traffic light then shut down. It seems to slowly be getting worse. It also has been burning out the headlight bulbs more often as it gets worse. Last one only lasted about 3 weeks.
Hello and welcome.
Harley made a lot of bikes.
We can not see the bike and it has not been described to us so it is rather difficult to give a really informed answer.
As a wild guess based on the limited information available:
If the whole electrical system shuts down then comes back ON then a circuit breaker is tripping.
Once the circuit breaker cools then it resets.
A high electrical demand or a short circuit could be possible.
Have you used a digital voltage meter to test the voltage at battery post? at rest, while cranking, at idle and at high idle? What were the results?
On the headlight bulb: Once again, we can not see and no description has been provided but i will guess headlight bulb is not original and some modification/change has taken place or you are having a high voltage situation. Did you check the plug behind the bulb for melting?
It might be easier if you provided:
Year
Model
Miles
List of Modificications
History of ownership
When did it last work correctly?